Skip to content

Weird problems during first live test

edited June 2013 in Troubleshooting

foreword: all features of sendy are working during tests.

now in a new list -> import over 70k subscribers csv with cronjob : duration ~4h <--- unbelievable long

sending a newsletter with extended amazon ses (28mails/s - 100k/24h) : duration ~16h <--- unbelievable long

Amazon registered over 40 complaints -> none of them registered in sendy neither in the list nor in the campaign, but i saw the calls in access logs

Amazon registered over 15 bounces -> 21 are tracked in the list, none of them in the campaign, but i saw calls in access logs

several hours after sending completed i see bounce / complaint calls from amazon, but none of them is registering by sendy

the only working thing, hopefully, opened / clicks and unsubscribers

no errors in any system/software
its weird, because all tests are successful

another weird thing, during the sending process i got the message: bounces and complaints are not set up, but in all tests ago these message doesnt appear and these things were set! double and triple-checked

i canceled the sending because of faith for not tracking bounces and complaints, so i tried it several times, on the 3. or 4. try this sending popup isnt show anymore, instead there was a green box with the message: campaign sending ....

Comments

• @sennah82 You are not registered as a forum user with the email address you used when purchasing Sendy. I can't check any background information or do any verification. Please let me know your licensed domain. Thanks.

• BenBen
    edited June 2013

I just did a search in my licensing database with your first name (taken from your email address registered in the forum) and found "Hannes Diedrich". Here's answering your questions:

now in a new list -> import over 70k subscribers csv with cronjob : duration ~4h <--- unbelievable long

Your CSV importing speed is only as fast as your server can handle. I see that you're hosted on Strato, are you on a shared server or VPS?

sending a newsletter with extended amazon ses (28mails/s - 100k/24h) : duration ~16h <--- unbelievable long

This translates to around 1 - 2 emails per second which is slow indeed. Sendy uses multi-threading to send your emails, features auto-retry and auto-resume, uses indexes in your database that speeds up reading speed - it has already done its part. The rest depends on:

• The size of your newsletter
    • Your server's computing power
    • Whether your server timeout frequently due to memory exhaustion (each timeout cost 5 mins)
    • The number of emails that requires sending to be retried (each retry cost 1 to 2 secs)
    • Your hosting company's internet connection upload speed
    • Geographical location of your server versus SES's servers

As Sendy sends your emails in bulk and according to your SES send rate, the total size of each parallel transfer to SES can add up to several MBs. The ability to complete this transfer in 1 second (most optimized) depends on your server’s computing power, memory resources and upload speed. For example, if your sending speed is 28 emails per second and your server can only complete a parallel execution and transfer of 28 emails in two seconds, your send rate will easily be halved.

If your server frequently times out because of memory exhaustion or CPU peaked, 5 minutes will be added to the total time of transfer for each timeout. If there are 100 emails that needs to be retried because it fails to transfer the first time, 100 x approx 2 seconds = 3 minutes+ will be added to the total time for retries.

Latency in sending speed also depend on your server’s physical location versus Amazon SES’s server (located in US East). I see that you are hosted on Strato, which means your server is located in Germany. It's very far away from the east of US where Amazon SES's server resides. Physical location plays a big part in sending speed. If you want the most optimum sending speed, host Sendy on Amazon EC2.

Your subscriber base size of 100,000 is huge. Consider getting a server where you can configure the specs to your needs, eg. Amazon EC2.

several hours after sending completed i see bounce / complaint calls from amazon, but none of them is registering by sendy

This is because you receive a warning letting you know that bounces and complaints weren't detected to be setup, but you sent the campaign anyway.

another weird thing, during the sending process i got the message: bounces and complaints are not set up, but in all tests ago these message doesnt appear and these things were set! double and triple-checked

This is not a weird thing but a valid warning. When you send test emails, this warning does not appear. It only appears when you send a live campaign. A common mistake most people make is that the Feedback Details wasn't set for the verified email or domain or both after setting up bounce and complaint SNS topics/subscriptions. This is stipulated in Steps 7 & 8 of the Get Started Guide.

so i tried it several times, on the 3. or 4. try this sending popup isnt show anymore, instead there was a green box with the message: campaign sending ....

To learn why you're not seeing the popup anymore, please see this thread → http://forum.sendy.co/discussion/784/upgraded-to-1-1-5-2-says-bounces-not-set/p1

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.