Skip to content

Add ability to decide if subscriber should be resubscribed after /subscribe API call

edited June 2013 in Suggestions

Updating Subsribers via API /subscribe call resubscribes users. There should be an ability to indicates if user should be resubscribed.

When I would like to update whole database of subscribers I would like to leave unsubscribed users in this state.

Comments

• edited September 2021

I'd like this feature too. I think this is actually important, and that the default behavior should be to leave unsubscribed users in that state. Otherwise, we'd tend to annoy a lot of recipients who have already taken the effort to unsub from our unwanted newsletter.

The API doc isn't clear on the subscribe endpoint's behavior, and I only figured out that it re-subscribes users after testing. This means that integrations like this WooCommerce-Sendy plugin inadvertently re-subs recipients upon repeat interactions with the sender, which is something most senders wouldn't want.

I've had to modify code and write my own integrations which perform a subscription-status call first to check if an email address is unsubscribed before proceeding with the update call via subscribe. This incurs an extra HTTP request, of course.

Perhaps it's time to have a dedicated update API for this issue which would be just like subscribe, except that it won't toggle back the subscription status by default, and will fail if the address doesn't exist yet in Sendy's DB.