Skip to content

Sending via separate mailserver - SMTP

edited February 2013 in Questions

Hi,

I'm setting up a separate smtp server for use with sendy.

It's another ubuntu box running postfix. The smtp settings in sendy only seem to allow SSL or TLS so I've opened up the relevant ports and turned on SSL on the postfix box.

I can telnet into the postfix box and send mail with no problems. When sendy tries it fails, the logs show that sendy is startingthe smtp exchange but then it's timing out. The postfix log shows.....

Feb 19 11:56:19 green postfix/smtpd[5558]: > unknown[192.168.1.80]: 421 4.4.2 green Error: timeout exceeded

I'm connecting to the postfix box via it's local address.

How does sendy connect via smtp, is it possible to not use ssl or tls?

Comments

• I just increased the verbosity of the postfix logging, it now shows this when I send from sendy....
    Feb 19 12:11:00 green postfix/smtpd[5727]: match_string: ?g??? ~? CONNECT
    Feb 19 12:11:00 green postfix/smtpd[5727]: match_string: ?g??? ~? GET
    Feb 19 12:11:00 green postfix/smtpd[5727]: match_string: ?g??? ~? POST
    Feb 19 12:11:00 green postfix/smtpd[5727]: match_list_match: ?g???: no match
    Feb 19 12:11:00 green postfix/smtpd[5727]: > unknown[192.168.1.80]: 502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized

• Hi @hemming,

Are you setting up your own SMTP server?

Sendy's SMTP feature uses PHPMailer's library and has been tested to work with SMTP servers like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Amazon SES, Sendgrid (which I have heard people were able to send via Sendgrid as well) etc.

With regards to correctly set up your own SMTP server, I have no experience in this so I may not be able to offer any helpful hints. Sorry about that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.