Skip to content

Bounces and complaints not being registered - workaround

edited March 2013 in Troubleshooting

Step 7-8, I went through the process multiple times very carefully. and had a ton of trouble. everything was going smoothly until I got to step 7-8 of the guide the part where it says "Click the Subscribe button. Sendy will instantly confirm the subscription." That didn't happen for me, instead I got this message:

"Subscription request received! A confirmation message will be sent to the subscribed endpoint. Once the subscription has been confirmed, the endpoint will receive notifications from this topic.Subscriptions will expire after 3 days if not confirmed.

I saw a forum post that said something about adding the following: define('EMAIL', 'yourname@domain.com'); to includes/config.php fie. I don't know if this is necessary or not but I did it, and it made no difference. However I still have the email code in my config.php file, and not sure if I should leave it or not.

After 3-4 days of frustration I got it to work. But there was a step missing in the guide. on section 7-8 when you get to the point that you have built your subscriptions and now you go back to edit config in SES I found this to solve my problem, hopefully may help someone else.

The guide currently says(*note I added the a. and b. to help with clarity.):
(when you get back to SES from SNS)

a. Select your email address. Then click the tab, Feedback Details at the bottom and then click Edit Configuration.
b. Under SNS Configuration, click the Bounces drop down menu and select bounces (which is what you've created previously in your SNS console).

Before i could get that to happen I had to create the topic both in SNS and SES before bounces or complaints would show up in the drop down. so following a. on the edit configure pop up it says "create new topic". Click it then add your topic bounces and save just like you did in SNS. Then it will show up in the drop down as in the picture on the guide. you have to repeat this for complaints create a topic for complaints too. This fixed my issues maybe will fix yours too good luck.

Comments

• Hi @Signetman,

Sendy will instantly confirm the subscription. That didn't happen for me, instead I got this message:

The message you got tells you that a confirmation message has been sent to the endpoint (includes/campaigns/bounces.php and includes/campaigns/complaints.php). These two scripts will instantly confirm your subscription via CURL the moment this message shows up. That is why in Sendy's Get Started Guide, it says "Sendy will instantly confirm the subscription". The confirmation is instant.

a. Select your email address. Then click the tab, Feedback Details at the bottom and then click Edit Configuration. b. Under SNS Configuration, click the Bounces drop down menu and select bounces (which is what you've created previously in your SNS console).

Before i could get that to happen I had to create the topic both in SNS and SES before bounces or complaints would show up in the drop down.

The sequence in Step 7 & 8 in the Get Started Guide begins by asking you to create an SNS topic first, followed by an SNS subscription. So when you get back to your SES console, you will see your SNS topic in the drop down list when you go to the Feedback tab.

There is no need for any workarounds, just follow the Get Started Guide sequentially and everything will be setup correctly.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.