Skip to content

Update custom fields of existing subscribers with CSV

edited March 2021 in Using Sendy

I see there are past threads discussing the ability to update existing contacts, but I have not seen that there is a solution. I have added a custom field and I would like to populate this field for a known subset. I have created a CSV file with the email and custom file. If I upload this, what will happen? I am hoping this will add the text to the custom field and everything else about the record will remain unchanged.

Comments

• Hi,

I have created a CSV file with the email and custom file. If I upload this, what will happen?

For any matching email address, it will update the 'Name' and any custom fields with what is set in the CSV.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Ok - so if my update file only has email and the custom field (no data populated in "name"), uploading the update file will remove any data that exists in the "name" field - correct?

Also, I am assuming this would be true of any custom fields too -correct?

If both of the above are correct, then, to avoid ERASING/OVERWRITING existing data, the update file being uploaded must be populated with all relevant data for the given email address record -correct?

• Hi,

uploading the update file will remove any data that exists in the "name" field - correct?

No, if the 'Name' column in your CSV is empty, it will not erase the subscribers' name. It will be left untouched.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• When I try to update my list, all of the records are skipped due to "already exists". Any advice? I am trying to populate a custom field for a subset of existing subscribers.

• Hi,

When I try to update my list, all of the records are skipped due to "already exists".

It is really what it says, the email addresses already exists in the list, so they are not re-imported to produce duplicates. But any name and custom field data in the CSV for any matching email addresses will be updated in the list.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• THANK YOU!! I would have been working to understand that message for a LONG time!! It would be great if that message did not say "skipped" and said "updated"

This discussion has been closed.