Skip to content

What happens to feedback loop when server is down?

edited June 2013 in Questions

I realize this is more of a question for Amazon, but couldn't find answers over there, so wanted to check to see if someone knew off the top of their head :) I'm on EC2 free tier, and once per week or so, it goes down and I need to restart the httpd service (I probably need to upgrade the hosting level, and definitely need some sort of remote monitoring in place, but that's a different story). It may or may not be because I'll get too many simultaneous hits. During the time that it's down, will Amazon re-attempt the SNS delivery? Or is it a 1-way street and there's no notification back to Amazon?

Thanks!

Comments

• BenBen
    edited October 2013

Hi @texasjohn,

During the time that it's down, will Amazon re-attempt the SNS delivery? Or is it a 1-way street and there's no notification back to Amazon?

Amazon will not re-attempt SNS delivery. There's no notification back to Amazon telling them that your server is down.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Q: Will Amazon SNS guarantee that messages will be delivered to the subscribed end-point?

When a message is published to a topic, Amazon SNS will attempt to deliver notifications to all subscribers registered for that topic. Due to potential Internet issues or Email delivery restrictions, sometimes the notification may not successfully reach an HTTP or Email end-point. In the case of HTTP, an SNS Delivery Policy can be used to control the retry pattern (linear, geometric, exponential backoff), maximum and minimum retry delays, and other parameters. If it is critical that all published messages be successfully processed, developers should have notifications delivered to an SQS queue (in addition to notifications over other transports).

• @Iain_M_Norman, thanks for the correction. Yes you can set the number of retries in your SNS console. I just recalled discussing this with another user on another thread before.

• That's great- thanks for the responses!

This discussion has been closed.