Skip to content

Help with unsubscribes, including automated ones

edited January 2021 in Questions

I'd like to begin to understand how unsubscribes are dealt with in Sendy.

There's a webhook for use with Zapier that is triggered on unsubscribes: but if I understand it correctly, it only works on a user-initiated unsubscribe (they pressed "unsubscribe" in the website, or I did an unsubscribe in the API). It doesn't appear to catch bounces or complaints, as I understand it. Is that correct?

includes/campaigns/complaints.php does an unsubscribe for a spam complaint - does that script also handle bounces?

As a feature request, it would be really helpful if the 'notes' field could be populated with a reason for unsubscription ("Bounced", "Complaint", or "Requested").

Comments

• Hi,

but if I understand it correctly, it only works on a user-initiated unsubscribe (they pressed "unsubscribe" in the website, or I did an unsubscribe in the API). It doesn't appear to catch bounces or complaints, as I understand it. Is that correct?

No, unsubscribes do not catch bounces or complaints. Bounces are caught when Amazon sends your email but it can't be delivered. Complaints are caught when a recipient marked your email as spam.

includes/campaigns/complaints.php does an unsubscribe for a spam complaint - does that script also handle bounces?

includes/campaigns/complaints.php does not do an unsubscribe. The subscriber is flagged as Marked as spam when that happens, not Unsubscribed.

As a feature request, it would be really helpful if the 'notes' field could be populated with a reason for unsubscription ("Bounced", "Complaint", or "Requested").

When a user is flagged as Unsubscribed, it is because the user clicked the unsubscribe link in the email they receive, or you unsubscribe them via the unsubscribe API or through the interface. It has nothing to do with 'Bounced' or 'Complaint'.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

This discussion has been closed.