Skip to content

Delivery Status Notification (Failure) - hard bounces vs soft bounces

edited April 2014 in Questions

Each newsletter I receive a bunch of the following emails from Amazon:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
An error occurred while trying to deliver the mail to the following recipients: redacted@redacted.com

They often include an attachment. For example, one has the following contents:

Reporting-MTA: dsn; a8-25.smtp-out.amazonses.com

Final-Recipient: rfc822; redacted@redacted.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553 5.1.2 Unknown mail server. Could not find a mail server for 307knoxrevords.com

On my last newsletter to about 2.5k subscribers, I got about 20 of these emails.

My guess is this is a notification of a "soft bounce", with my understanding being that Amazon will try again before filing it as a "hard bounce" and giving up. This would explain why in Sendy it reported 0% bounces.

Is this an accurate guess as to what's going on here?

Comments

• Hi Susan,

First of all, you need to upgrade to the latest version of Sendy as you're currently using the extremely old version 1.1.5.

Later versions of Sendy will disable 'Email Feedback Forwarding' in your Amazon SES account so that you won't receive emails like these as bounces and complaints will be automatically registered in Sendy when they happen.

Lastly, hard or soft bounces, they will all be handled by Sendy.

Please upgrade to the latest version ? http://sendy.co/get-updated

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Gotcha - I actually updated after I posted that message. In addition to finding out more about those emails, it was on my "Sendy housekeeping" to-do list. : )

So it sounds like with my next send, because of the upgrade, I won't receive these emails anymore - Sendy wil handle them all.

Thanks for the prompt feedback; Sendy is a great product.

• Hi Ben -

This morning we ran our first newsletter since the upgrade, and are still receiving the emails from amazon. Reference: http://note.io/1r05ZlR

Any thoughts?

• You can disable Email Feedback Fowarding in your SES console:

• Thanks, settings in place.

This discussion has been closed.