Skip to content

Email addresses in email body converted to "[email protected]"

edited February 2015 in Troubleshooting

Dear Support,

Every time I insert an email address e.g. support address in my messages, it keeps changing to [email protected]. I've tried changing the link type to email and once saved it changes to [email protected]... When I click on this it shows that it is:

Link Type: URL
Protocol: Other
URL: /cdn-cgi/l/email-protection

I'm getting some what annoyed with this as I wish to provide a support email address at the end of my messages... But on the recipient end they are unable to see this, other than this [email protected] which is not helpful at all to my email list...

In addition my domain is using Cloudflare CDN - so I'm not sure if this is related but cannot see how... I've disabled Cloudflare and it does nothing... The problem happens whilst in sendy when creating messages... As soon as I enter an email address in a message and save it, I get this [email protected] overwrite...

How can I disable this? Appreciate any help, guidance on this...

Many Thanks,

Sid

Comments

• BenBen
    edited February 2015

Hi,

Sendy will never change any email address in your email's body to "[email protected]". There are no script or code that does that.

The problem may stem from the email client you are using that converts the email address to "[email protected]" for some reason.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

Appreciate you letting me know that there is nothing built into Sendy which is causing this.. Its real strange as this is happening when using sendy directly... All that I am doing is adding my email address and clicking save...

I'm confused by email client... I thought sendy is my email client? If possible do you know how can I find what the email client is? So I assume the issue is more to do with my webhost.... I'll keep looking into this and if I can fix it I'll let you know as it may help other people!

Cheers,

Sid

• Hiya Ben!

You wont believe it but I figured it out!!!

It seems all my problems with Sendy so far has been related to use of CDN (Cloudflare) which I am using as a result of my primary domain being hit with a hacking script eating away on server resources with rotating IPs...

That said I did the following within Cloudflare Settings:

1. Purge Cache under settings overview
    2. Switch off E-mail address obfuscation located under Security.

I guess what is happening is that the data is being sent through Cloudflare servers before redirecting to my domain. In between those cheeky monkeys are removing my email address and replacing it with [email protected].

Suffice to say, I really appreciate you letting me know that the problem is not with Sendy as that allowed me to troubleshoot elsewhere....Now problem solved!!!

That said I do recommend if you have time that Sendy should be tested with CDNs such as Cloudflare (they have a free version which I use) - as it seems some anomalies are occurring... I mention that as I assume that the use of CDNs will only increase in order to prevent DDOS attacks etc...

Many Thanks!

Cheers,

Sid

• Thanks for the explanation, Sid. I'm glad you solved it. :)

This discussion has been closed.