Skip to content

rackspace cloud hosting cron issues

edited February 2013 in Troubleshooting

I get this when I set my hosting to notify me of cron results

Task Started at Thu Feb 21 02:55:47 CST 2013

Command to be executed is: /usr/bin/php /mnt/stor0-wc2-dfw1/509118/744824/contact.commentluv.com/web/content/autoresponders.php > /dev/null 2>&1
Task ID of this command is: 107357
Where should log be written: /mnt/stor0-wc2-dfw1/509118/744824/contact.commentluv.com/logs
Start time: Thu Feb 21 02:55:47 CST 2013
Email address: andrewgbailey@gmail.com

PHP Deprecated: Directive 'register_long_arrays' is deprecated in PHP 5.3 and greater in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated: Directive 'magic_quotes_gpc' is deprecated in PHP 5.3 and greater in Unknown on line 0

rackspace have a system where they can only set the language and interval of minimum of 5 mins

I am unable to get to the schedule options.

I tried setting the cron column to 1 in the login table and that enables scheduling options but still doesn't send out anything.

I tried a test email and that worked fine

I tried an unscheduled campaign with cron column set to 1 in the login table and that didn't send

setting cron to 0 in the login table again and then sending now worked.

I did notice a series of errors about timezone not being set in the cron results so I added "date_default_timezone_set('Europe/London');" to the autoresponder.php file

what can be done about the cron? why isn't sendy automatically enabling scheduling

Comments

• Hi @ccgeek,

Firstly, it's good to know that there are currently no issues with sending/scheduling/autoresponders via cron jobs.

The problem could be with your cron job command or the paths inside it.

1. Verify that the path to the autoresponders.php script is correct
    2. Verify that the path to php is correct usr/bin/php
    3. Verify that the cron job schedule looks like this */1 * * * * (for autoresponders to work, it has to be executed every 1 min)

If you are unable to send campaigns (not autoresponders), verify that you've setup a cron job for scheduled.php as well.

I tried setting the cron column to 1 in the login table and that enables scheduling options but still doesn't send out anything.

I tried an unscheduled campaign with cron column set to 1 in the login table and that didn't send

There is no use manually setting the cron column to 1 directly in the database. The cron column should be set by the scheduled.php script to verify that cron job is working. If the cron column is not set by scheduled.php which is executed by the cron job, manually setting it to 1 doesn't make the cron job work anyway. Again, verify that a cron job for scheduled.php has been set up.

I tried a test email and that worked fine

The test email function does not use cron to send, hence, whether your cron job is working or not has nothing to do with the test email function.

setting cron to 0 in the login table again and then sending now worked.

By default, the cron column is set to 0, campaigns will be sent but will not be sent via cron.

To conclude, make sure that your cron job works and is set up for scheduled.php (every 5 mins) and autoresponders.php (every 1 min). I highly recommend not directly touching any values in the database and let the app run and verify things naturally. If you've previously set the cron, cron_ares columns to 1, please set it back to 0 otherwise you will not be able to verify whether your cron jobs are working.

Thanks.

Ben

• edited February 2013

my hosting does not allow setting a cron to 1 minute. it is minimum 5 mins

are you saying I have to set a cron job for scheduled.php AND autoresponders.php ?

the pop up only shows for scheduled.php

• ok never mind, I figured it out and it appears to be working as it should with a scheduled campaign

This discussion has been closed.