Skip to content

Can I get the "Web View" URL to show in the HTML version?

edited March 2013 in Suggestions

Using [webversion] I can get the newsletter URL to show in the TEXT version of an email, but is there a way to get just the URL to show in the HTML version (rather than the hyperlinked version)? If I use this <webversion>View web version</webversion> it does not give me JUST the URL, all I want is the URL to the web version of my newsletters.

Comments

• Hi @dhollings,

The <webversion> tag converts into a href tag, it won't just give you the URL without being hyperlinked.

Are you trying to style your webversion link? You can do something like this <webversion style="color:#FF0000">View web version</webversion>

If you want your HTML email to just display the plain text of the URL (without it being hyperlinked), it's impossible as your users' email client will convert it into a hyperlink anyway. It's worse because the default color of that link will be an ugly blue and you can't style it. So I'd suggest styling the web version tag as I've described above so you can display your web version link in any color you like.

Thanks.

Ben

• edited March 2013

Ben, you went way off in to assumption land.... I need to pass the URL into another URL that provides a reminder functionality for my readers. I need just the URL. So my question is the same as before: Can I get access to JUST THE URL within the HTML version of my newsletter?

This has nothing to do with linking, CSS, styling, etc. I just want to be able to get access to the URL. In other words, it would be great if I could put [webversion] in the HTML version of my newsletter and have Sendy print just the URL so I could work with it.

For example.... I need to achieve this...

http://domain.com/readlater.php?url=[webversion]

• Ok solved it myself (though I think you should add this to standard script)

I added line in send_now.php and schedule.php

$html_treated = str_replace('[webversion]', get_app_info('path').'/w/'.short($subscriber_id).'/'.short($subscriber_list).'/'.short($campaign_id), $html_treated);

Now, [webversion] will print URL in HTML version.

• BenBen
    edited March 2013

Using [webversion] in the HTML version will print the URL only is a good idea. Using <webversion> will continue to convert it into a hyperlink in the HTML version.

Thanks, I will implement this in the next version.

Ben

• Sure thing. I now have a READ THIS LATER reminder within my newsletter.

• This is now supported in version 1.1.7. You can now use the [webversion] tag in the HTML version.

This discussion has been closed.