Skip to content

Help for installation - .htacess and 404, etc.

edited September 2012 in Troubleshooting
I'm trying to install Sendy, but I'm coming into a number of problems.
1. I tried to upload the .htacess file into the main Sendy folder, but it does not show up - I'm using HostMonster. However, when I try to upload again, it says that it has been uploaded. Does this mean it exists, but doesn't show up on the list?
2. When going to mywebsite.com/sendy which is where it is installed. I get a 404 error. I saw another thread saying I need to modify the htacess file, which in my case might not even be uploaded. I tried to open in to modify it, but neither I nor the computer know what program to use in order to modify it.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 1. If you've uploaded the .htaccess file, it should be on your server. (and you should be able to see it) Unless Hostmonster forbids uploading of .htaccess, it's best to consult your host on why you can't see the .htaccess file you've uploaded

2. Seeing a 404 error can only mean a few things. One, your .htaccess file is not uploaded (see point 1 above). If you or Hostmonster verifies that your .htaccess has been uploaded, follow this thread to troubleshoot http://sendy.co/discussion/5/404-error-after-install
  • Okay, I verified that .htaccess was installed in Hostmonster. It didn't show before because I had to select "view hidden files" which includes all files that start with a dot. Now it shows.

I made the necessary adjustments to the .htaccess as recommended on the other thread. This still didn't work (still showed 404 error) so I checked to see about mod_rewrite, and in Hostmonster, it is enabled by default.

Any other ideas why Sendy is not properly installing - it still shows 404?

Thanks.
  • 1. What was the color of "mod_rewrite" in the compatibility checklist when you install?

2. Is there an existing .htaccess file in your root directory? (may be conflicting with Sendy's .htaccess)
  • 1. I have no idea - where would I go to look for that?

2. The only .htaccess file in the root directory is the one I just added based on directions from the other thread. It says - RewriteBase /
  • What is your installation URL?

Let's say if your installation URL is http://domain.com/sendy, do you have an existing .htaccess in http://domain.com/ ?
  • j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s .com /sendy (I spaced it out so Google won't find this page but there are not spaces)

The only .htaccess file at j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s .com/ is the the one I added that says: RewriteBase /

However, there is one directory above j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s .com which is the public_html folder (there are three other websites of mine in there). There is also a .htaccess file in that folder. I opened it and the contents say:

# Use PHP5 Single php.ini as default
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5s .php

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

• Thanks for the info. Try installing Sendy on a sub domain.
  • Okay. We're getting closer.

I installed it at sendy. j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s .com / sendy

Then it didn't work, so I changed the main .htaccess file to include RewriteBase /sendy

Now when I go to sendy. j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s.com /sendy it tells me to go to includes/config.php - When I go there (sendy. j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s.com/sendy/includes/config.php - correct?) there is only a blank white screen.

Any suggestions for what to do next?

Thanks.
  • Yes you're getting closer. :)

You need to configure the contents of includes/config.php (not visit it on your browser). Have you configured your database settings, app path and email in includes/config.php?
  • App path, i did "http://sendy. j e w e l r y t a l k c o l u m n s .com/sendy" - is this correct?

Where do I find my values for dbhost, dbuser, dbpass, and dbname?
  • Can anyone help on my most recent questions? I apologize if these have obvious answers, but I can't move forward without them. I searched through the forum and Google and was not able to find the answers.

My suggestion to Sendy's creators is to make the get started guide much more detailed to include information like this. It would save you and the users time.

Thanks
  • BenBen
    edited December 2012
    Where do I find my values for dbhost, dbuser, dbpass, and dbname?
    This is your database connection credentials (as labeled in /includes/config.php). Have you set up a mySQL database before? I see you're on Bluehost, so I searched Google for "how to set up mysql database on bluehost". And there is a documentation page as seen on the first result. Just follow the steps to create your database and database user.

We didn't include "how to setup a mySQL database" in our Get Started Guide because we thought users would know how to set up a mySQL database if they were to download a 'self hosted' web application. That is why we created this forum; to answer any other questions.
This discussion has been closed.