Skip to content

Why does my list of 5000 show that it's sending to 7,00 + and rising

edited December 2012 in Troubleshooting
I'm currently sending a campaign and the list was definitely 5,000 users. In the sendy campaign report it says that

Sent on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, 10:50AM to 7,126 subscribers

How can this be when the list only contained 5000 records.

I've posted another question before but had response regarding the ability to upload a csv file I've had no luck or response regarding this. The software is great I just need a to get a few things answered then I'll be moving in the right direction.

Kind Regards

Comments

• Hi @funkle,

If you chose a combination of lists with a total of 5,000 recipients, Sendy will send to 5,000 recipients. Unless more subscribers were imported into the list(s) before your campaign starts sending.

Here's one scenario - you scheduled your email to send out tomorrow. After you scheduled your email (today), you imported a few thousand subscribers into the list(s) you've selected. When the time comes to get your emails out (which is tomorrow), your recipient list becomes 7,126.

Did you import new subscribers into any list that was selected to be sent out?
  • No I imported exactly 5000 email addresses and at one point I noted that it sent to 10,000 +. I'm not using the schedule send because I've setup a cron to do this but it's not working / not appearing. I don't have to option to schedule only an option to setup the cron.

I've just had a call from my client who is receiving many complaints because people have received this 4x times! I'm not sure how this is possible but now I'm at a loss of what to do. I did click resume because I thought the campaign wasn't sending as there's not status bar or anything indicating the progress of the send. Bascially I can't trust the system to send out anymore emails before christmas and I need to send another 40,000! The first campaign I sent a number of people received it 2x times but I didn't think anything more of it. I can't trust sendy now nor can I risk the implications to my large database.

Your thoughts?
  • Hi @funkle,

I'm sorry to hear that. Basically, it looks like your cron isn't setup so that sending will "auto resume" reliably when your server times out. I'm not sure how many times you clicked "resume" or clicked it when it absolutely stopped sending, this may be the issue. There was one user who kept clicking "resume" to resume sending without making sure sending really stopped. As a result more emails were sent than originally planned.

A lot of users wanted sending to automatically resume when server times out. This has been requested a lot and I've introduced it in version 1.1.0. Auto resume also prevents 'human error' as the server makes sure sending really stopped before automatically resuming.

I understand you've previously set up cron but didn't got it to work. Can I suggest figuring out why it isn't working and make sure sending via cron works so that issues like that as a result of 'human error' wouldn't occur?

Can you verify with your host if your cron job has been set up correctly?

Lastly, I saw that you're on version 1.1.2, can you please upgrade to the latest 1.1.3.1 for added reliability?

Thanks Brenton, let me know if there's anything else I can help with regards to setting up your cron job.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben
This discussion has been closed.