Skip to content

Emails not hitting AWS.

edited September 2012 in Troubleshooting
I have gotten all the DKIM stuff done, verified, applied for production, everything's "green", so to speak, but when it comes time to test sending emails or sending out regularly, the emails never make it to AWS for processing.

I've synced the server time and had my host double check my DNS stuff, everything's looking good, but I can't get anything to happen.

Comments

• Can you check your database to see if your subscriber emails are wrapped in quotes?
  • Only one subscriber email has quotes - and I wasn't using it for testing...
  • Have you made sure both "email" and "domain" is verified?

Do you see your SES quota when you log in?

What are you hosted on and what configuration?
  • Both email and domain are verified.

I do see my SES quota when I log in.

I'm hosted on a Linux VPS running CentOS 5.5 with WiredTree
  • error log report: (removed sensitive info)

2012-09-21 13:07:44.918 [NOTICE] [:33461-0#APVH__*.**CENSORED**] [STDERR] PHP Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: ^ in /**CENSORED**/sendy/includes/helpers/class.amazonses.php on line 79
    2012-09-21 13:07:44.918 [NOTICE] [:33461-0#APVH__*.**CENSORED**] [STDERR] PHP Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request in /**CENSORED**/sendy/includes/helpers/class.amazonses.php on line 79
    2012-09-21 13:07:44.918 [NOTICE] [:33461-0#APVH__*.**CENSORED**] [STDERR] PHP Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /**CENSORED**/sendy/includes/helpers/class.amazonses.php on line 79
  • Please PM me your installation URL, email and password so I can log in to check.

Thanks.
  • @devkat Thanks, I've just logged into your account to check.

I temporarily changed your AWS credentials to ours, created a new brand called 'Sendy' and sent out 2 emails using hello@sendy.co as the 'From' address. The emails did get sent out and I did receive the email. I've changed the AWS credentials back to yours. Feel free to delete the brand 'Sendy' in your installation once you checked the report that my test worked.

This verifies that Sendy is working correctly. Now, the problem may be in your 'From' email address.

Can you PM me your AWS username and password so I can check that side of things? (change your password temporarily if you wish)

Thanks.
  • @devkat I received your AWS credentials, thanks. Everything is set up correctly. You can now change the password back to the original.

I figured what the problem was. The 'From name' cannot contain 'commas' and 'periods'. Your from name is 'Egg Donation, Inc.'. When I changed it to 'Egg Donation', the email was sent successfully.

Seems like something enforced by Amazon. You may want to use 'Egg Donation Inc' as your From name.
  • Oh boy - The only thing I didn't try. Thanks so much for your help Ben!
This discussion has been closed.