Skip to content

Email with attachments over 500kb won't be received

edited January 2013 in Troubleshooting

Hello,

I can't manage to have my subscribers receiving campaigns with attachements over 500 kb (approx.).

I did several campaign :
Email + 1 attachment of 200kb : OK
Email + 1 attachment of 600kb : BAD
Email + 2 attachment of 200kb : OK
Email + 3 attachment of 200kb : BAD

Though I always receive the [ Campaign Sent ] email notification and Sendy dashboard reports them as all sent.

I use Amazon SES, and they say attachments can be as large as 10 Mb.

When using the 'Send Test' functionality, everything is OK.

Any idea of what is going or how could I debug this ?

Best regards,
Antoine

Comments

• If the status of your campaign says it's 'Sent', they have been transferred to Amazon SES.

Amazon SES in turn send your emails.

Whether the receiving service provider accepts those emails with attachments over 500kb is another topic. If the receiving party cannot receive those emails, it's either they are being rejected, or they went to spam.

• The receiving party can receive email up to 20 Mb. The emails don't go to spam.
    Furthermore, I still have no clue why I receive these emails when using the 'Send Test' functionnality, but not when I send the campaign to the same number of recipients...

• Could you be a little more specific and helpful, and tell me for instance what is basically the difference between a 'Test send' and a 'Send Now' in terms the email is sent ?
    Indeed, when using a 'Test send', sending is very fast and has all attchments no matter their size.
    But when, I 'Send Now' the sending is quite slow (long 'Preparing' status) and no email won't be received (though marked as correctly sent) if the attachements total size is approx larger than 500 Kb.
    Both sending methods uses Amazon SES, as far as I know. So to me, it's not totally out of question that a Sendy script may be buggued, nope ?

• Maybe there is a timeout somewhere in the code sending troncated email while trying to embed several files and using the cron job (since all is delivered properly when using the 'Send test' method ... No ?

• Maybe the community could tell me if some experience the same issue. I have Sendy installed on a EC2 instance.

• I have tested on a totally different hosting environment and result is the same (still using SES though).
    I can send a message with multiple attachments and size over 500kb when using the 'Test Send' method.
    But when I use the 'Send Campaign' method (here without the cron scheduled job, so sent immediately), the email will never go inbox, though marked as 'Sent' in Sendy but not recorded in the SES quota (only 1 sent email is recorded each time, the [Campaign sent] one logically).

Please take my support request into account this time, this could be nice from you and professionnal.

• Max email size with attachments I get is 578kb.
    Tested on two different systems (EC2 instance & another hosted server).
    If the email size is larger, the email will never get inbox though the campaign is marked as 'Sent'.

Strangely, when it is an embedded image, there is not such a limit. I have tested up to 1MB without any issues.

So after all these tests, it appears there is an issue the way Sendy handles attachments.
    But since apparently, Sendy dev team doesn't want to support on this topic, it seems to be a dead end.

• Edit : when trying to embed the image in the campaign email, it is only a link reference to the source image, not truly embedded, so doesn't add a clue for this topic.

• @mediana, I've reproduced the same problem and still investigating it. Thanks.

• Hi, this is fixed in the just released 1.1.5 http://sendy.co/get-updated.

This discussion has been closed.