Skip to content

Has Amazon refused to increase your sending limits?

edited January 2013 in Questions

It is the second time I have requested extended access to Amazon, first they said I had a very high bounce rate, thus I went to great efforts to make the lists clean, I managed to get only 4 bounces for every 10,000 emails. Contacted them again and then they gave me this answer (even though I explained to them that for now I am had to split my 50,000 emails into 5 days but I cannot afford this come February 5th since I need to send them all out in a single mailing):

Greetings from Amazon Web Services.

Thank you for your request to increase your Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) sending limits.

Based on the information you have provided, it appears that your current sending limits should meet the needs of your use case.

If you still feel that your use case requires an increase in sending limits, please go to http://aws.amazon.com/ses/extendedaccessrequest to submit another Extended Access Request. In the Extended Access Request, provide as many additional details as you can about why you need the sending limit increase you requested, and how you plan to send high-quality emails to recipients who expect to hear from you. The more information you provide, the more likely we are to grant your request.

Comments

• Hi @adavila78,

Can you try requesting increase in sending limits again (as they specified) at http://aws.amazon.com/ses/extendedaccessrequest. This time telling them you've cleaned up your list and made sure you don't get more than 5 bounces for every 10,000 emails? Also tell them bounces has been managed at Sendy and emails won't be sent to them again, hence your bounce rates will be lower in subsequent sends.

Ben

• Addition to that, I assume the emails you are sending to are opt-in by the recipients themselves and these emails aren't purchased or obtained from questionable sources. And subsequent imports of new subscribers remain recipients who opt-in to receive your newsletters, so you won't have problems like this in future.

I have requested increase in sending limits multiple times and was granted until 500,000 right now. All my emails are opt-in by users who signed up for my product(s) or specifically signed up to receive my newsletters. Hence bounce rates are extremely low and I have no issues with Amazon SES raising my limits.

I assume and hope this is the same for you.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben! Thanks for your suggestions I already did all that the second time and they still rejected it... hope this third time they grant it after all the further explanations...

• Well they just replied with the same answer: "keep your volume and let the system take care of it" seems they do not want my business at all...

• As i said in one of threads... Amazon SES sometimes is not perfect solution when it comes to emails. They are very strictly and that's why will be great if sendy will integrate also with other SMTP services as mailjet.com mailgun.com sendgrid.com

• Hi @tycefx,

Thank you for your comment.

It's very common that users who don't have problems with Amazon SES or anything for that matter, or are happy users, usually keep it to themselves. Whereas users with problems will voice it out in this forum, that's what this forum is about and what users are using it for.

The reason for Amazon's strict policy is to ensure their reputation remains high and ultimately passes it down for all its users to enjoy in terms of deliverability, it is actually a good thing. Although I understand in some cases it can be annoying for users like you and @adavila78. But, there is always a story behind high bounce rates (i.e. where you get your subscribers from is a good starting point).

Speaking from experience, ALL my subscribers either specifically opt-in to receive my newsletters, or, they sign up or buy our product, hence they are on our lists. There are no other way I obtain subscribers/recipients from.

Amazon SES haven't banned my account, or refused even for once when I request for increased sending limits. I have also logged in to other customers' account before and sometimes I see very high daily quotas, like 1 million emails per day.

For some customers, they sent me feedback saying Amazon sent them a warning because their bounce and complaint rates are very high. I asked them, "where did you get your subscribers from?". The answer I get is usually "I bought it from some company" or "I have these list of subscribers whom I haven't sent an email to for years".

If you read Amazon SES's 'Best practice White Paper', you'll find that the highest tolerated bounce rate is 5%. I checked most of my campaigns I've sent with Sendy via Amazon SES and my bounce and complaint rates is always less than 1%. Usually 0 to 0.7%. 0.7% is when I have not sent an email to a list for 1 year.

If you or @adavila78 can enlighten me in all honesty on where your subscribers come from, what are your bounce and complaint rates like, that will shed some light if Amazon is just trying to be difficult.

Thank you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.