Skip to content

Slow despite allocated server resources.

edited February 2013 in Troubleshooting

I currently have a list of +/- 155k names and Amazon is throttling me at 500k sends at 70 per second. PHP is running the following specs: [intentionally redacted]

My concern is that at best I'm getting somewhere around 8-10 emails out per second.

Comments

• Hi @jereami,

Sendy has done its part by using multi-threading, auto-retry and auto-resume, the rest depends on your server's computing power.

Your sending speed is correlated with your server's computing power. The more powerful it is, the less time it takes to transfer X number of emails per iteration. So if your sending speed is 70 emails per second and your server can only complete a parallel execution of 70 emails in two seconds, your send rate will be halved.

Another way to understand this is to compare a Lamborghini with a regular Toyota Corolla. Disregarding external factors like traffic, the time difference in reaching the same destination will be significant because of the difference in engine horsepower.

Thanks.

Ben

• Thanks for the reply @Ben. My server specs are pretty decent. Xeon 3440 2.53GHz Turbo Quad Core/8T 8MB CPU Cache, 1333MHz FSB and 8GB RAM . The only thing I'm running on this is Sendy and a Wordpress site. I may not be driving a Lamborghini, but its certainly a Saleen.

• Hi @jereami,

Let me put it in another way, imagine 70 people visiting your site per second and your server needs to serve up everything to 70 visitors in one second, multiplied by the number of times this has to happen. There is no doubt your server specs are good but you may need a higher one in order to successfully process 70 emails in one second (and then multiplied by the number of times this parallel process has to go on until completion without your server resources getting exhausted).

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.