Skip to content

Thunderbird scam warning

edited February 2013 in Questions

I have Sendy running on Ec2 BitnamiLamp, with elastic Ip,
sendig a test mail to some address and receiving them in thunderbird,
they're all marked as possible scam,
googloing I find out that it could be caused by the number-Ip in the links in my mail,
is it true?
Should I associate a domain name (that's not the same domain of my sender address) to my elastic amazon IP?
Any other tip to prevent my mails from spam and scam warnings?

Comments

• Hi @fatechand,

If the domain of your links is an IP address, most ISPs (receiving side) will be worried and possibly send it to spam.

Yes, masking your elastic IP with a domain would be recommended.

PM me when you're ready to change your licensed domain.

Thanks.

Ben

• edited February 2013

Ok, I have ready a domain not used.
    Just to knw, could I use amazon public Dns: ec2-xx-xxx-xxx-xx.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com?

• BenBen
    edited February 2013

Hi @fatechand,

Could I use amazon public Dns: ec2-xx-xxx-xxx-xx.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com?

You can. I'm not sure if getting past spam filters will be a problem with this address, but it's up to you. But if I were you, I'd mask it with a sub domain by setting up a CNAME in my DNS.

Thanks.

Ben

• So you mean I could setin DNS: host: news.mydomain.it type:CNAME value:mydomain.it
    and run my licensed Sendy on news.mydomain.it?

• So you mean I could setin DNS: host: news.mydomain.it type:CNAME value:mydomain.it and run my licensed Sendy on news.mydomain.it?

You need to create a CNAME in your DNS, eg. news.mydomain.it and pointing to "your_EC2_IP_address" or "elastic_IP_address".

• So even if my Sendy is not hosted where my domain1 is (but on ec2), I could in this way use my domain1 as sendy-licensed-domain?
    I think it could be better, for the address from wich I send mails with Sendy is mydomain1, and actually I'm running sendy on my domain2 (and it could be not so good for spam rate, isn't it?)

• Hi @fatechand,

With regards to licensed domain, Sendy only checks the domain you're installing or running Sendy on. To put it simply, Sendy looks at your URL bar, takes the domain and verifies it to see if it has a license. If this domain is a licensed domain, you're good to go, if it is not a licensed domain, then you won't be able to install or run Sendy.

Having said that, Sendy doesn't care what server you are using or where it is located, it only cares what domain you're using Sendy with.

Hope this clarifies.

Ben

• edited February 2013

I undertsand like this in dns records:
    sendy.mydomain1 CNAME mydomain2(where actually sendy is licensed)

but could I do like this:
    sendy.mydomain1 A IPec2 (and move sendy license to domain1)
    ?

I don't know if I'm allowed to redirect a subdomain from my shared host, anyway

• Hi @fatechand,

sendy.mydomain1 A IPec2

Yes you can change your A record to point your domain to your EC2 IP.

But your DNS should look like this:

mydomain1 A IPec2

instead of this:

sendy.mydomain1 A IPec2

If you want to use sendy.mydomain1, you should create a CNAME record instead of changing your domain's A record.

'A records' maps your entire domain to the IP address you specify. To be more clear, here's an example:

You changed your A record for my_domain.com to EC2's IP. When you visit my_domain.com, the contents in your browser will show everything from your EC2 server. If you installed Sendy on your EC2 server, my_domain.com will display Sendy's app.

Whereas, if you add a CNAME instead of changing your domain's A record, your domain (my_domain.com) will continue to display contents from your current server but whatever that's set in your CNAME (eg. sendy.my_domain.com) will display contents of Sendy's content.

To conclude,

If you are using a domain solely for Sendy, then yes, change the A record to point to EC2's IP address.

If your domain is currently used for your website, do not change the A record as your website will completely disappear and be replaced by the contents of your EC2 server. Create a CNAME instead and call it something like sendy.my_domain.com.

Hope this helps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.