Skip to content

GoDaddy Issues

edited March 2013 in Troubleshooting

I have read all of the threads pertaining to using Sendy on Godaddy.

I have a basketball coaching site and send a daily coaching tip to 22,000 plus coaches daily. My goal is to get it sent at 6:00 am EST.

I am using Godaddy as my host and just updated today to 1.1.5.1, but have not sent anything using that version of Sendy. I upgraded from the previous version.

I have a Godaddy cron job that runs every 30 minutes

I have had two issues:

1) The sending is slow due to the shared server. I read that Ben (and others) recommend Amazon EC2. Is there anywhere that describes how to set Sendy up on that server and migrate my data?

2) In the earlier version I used of Sendy, I scheduled an email to send at a later date and time. When that time came, it didn't send. Now, with 1.1.5.1, I am not able to select a different date to schedule. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Amazon EC2 just means using Amazon's cloud. You'd setup a Windows or Linux server on EC2 just like you would a regular server if the hardware was sitting in front of you.

For example, you could create a Linux image, install apache and mysql on it, assign an IP and then you would install Sendy just like you installed it on your current ISP - GoDaddy.

Sorry, I'm a new user of Sendy myself and just stumbled on this question while looking for the answer to something else. EC2 is a godsend for me but I am not currently using it to send emails.

• Thanks. That definitely gives me some direction to get started.

• BenBen
    edited March 2013

Hi @williab83,

I have a Godaddy cron job that runs every 30 minutes
    I scheduled an email to send at a later date and time. When that time came, it didn't send.

Your cron jobs needs to be set to "every 5 minutes" otherwise you will have problems scheduling emails. I understand GoDaddy have this cron job restriction on shared servers. Please see this post on GoDaddy forum to see how to workaround this http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/topic/how-to-run-crob-job-in-every-minute/ (see randomfellow's reply)

Now, with 1.1.5.1, I am not able to select a different date to schedule. Any thoughts?

The javascript from the previous version may have been cached on your computer, force a browser refresh to see if you are able to select the date. What browser are you using by the way? And on which platform?

Thanks.

Ben

• Thanks Ben, I will give both of those replies a shot. I am using Firefox 19 on a pc that runs windows 7. I have never set anything up on a cloud, but am going to tackle that next while keeping this instance running until I get that one working.

• Hi Ben,

I think I have the scheduling issue resolved. I will wait until the morning to see if the blast I have scheduled goes out. As for the cron job issue, I have set it up as randomfellow suggested. I want to make sure, is this the correct format for the cron job command with godaddy? /web/cgi-bin/php5 "$HOME/html/sendy/scheduled.php"

• Hi @williab83,

I think I have the scheduling issue resolved.

Great. :)

I want to make sure, is this the correct format for the cron job command with godaddy? /web/cgi-bin/php5 "$HOME/html/sendy/scheduled.php"

Can you email GoDaddy's support to verify this? I'm not so sure as I don't use GoDaddy.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben--both issues resolved and working great! Thanks for your help.

Brian

• Hi Ben--both issues resolved and working great! Thanks for your help.

Good to hear. You're welcome!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.