Skip to content

Delete Subscribers not working

When I click on "Delete Subscribers" in any of my lists, I get booted to a 404 Error page. I saw in some other post that people disabled their mod_security to fix this problem. I have tried various ways to disable mod_security by modifying the .htaccess file, but I've had no luck yet. I really don't have any experience with modifying .htaccess files. I tried to look it up, but since I've never done it before I'm not sure if I'm just not entering it correctly or if it just isn't solving the issue.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi @kevinmcmahonmilspray,

Is your .htaccess file in Sendy's directory the original .htaccess file from Sendy?

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben,
    There is an .htaccess file in both directories. (Sorry, not sure if that should be like that, I don't really have experience on the server setting aspect of web development.)
    Thanks

• Sorry, completely misread that. Too much multitasking today... Yes it is the origianl .htaccess file that came with the Sendy installiation. I simply tried to add command to it that I read elsewhere might help, but they didn't solve anything so I switched it back to the original.

I originally thought you were asking if there was an .htaccess in the Sendy directory or if it was in the root oh my public HTML folder. And in that case there is an .htaccess in both directories.

There is an .htaccess file in both directories.

Is the .htaccess file that's outside Sendy's directory the .htaccess file from Sendy? If so, remove that .htaccess file and make sure Sendy's .htaccess file is in its own directory only and see if the problem persist?

Thanks.

Ben

• The .htaccess file that is outside Sendy's directory is not the one from Sendy. It is one that corresponds to our Magento E-Commerce platform. So basically in the PublicHTML folder is our Magento install with its own .htaccess file. Then in it's own folder called Sendy in the PublicHTML is the Sendy installation with the .htaccess file that came with Sendy.

Thanks for clarifying.

Can you please PM me these details so I can check what's amiss:

• Sendy installation URL, email and password
    • FTP credentials

Thanks.

Ben

Thanks for the credentials. I logged in to your Sendy installation and saw that you're on version 1.1.5.1. The current version is 1.1.5.4, I have updated your installation to this version. Deleting subscribers works as expected after updating to the latest version.

Thanks.

Ben

• The Delete Subscribers button still isn't working on my end. Still just goes to a 404 Error page. I've logged out, logged back in. Tried it in Chrome, cleared my browser data, retried in Chrome and then tried it in IE9, all with the same result.

Sorry, I thought you meant the "delete button" to delete individual subscribers - which is working.

I just tried and can verify that the "Delete subscribers" button does go to the 404 page.

The thing is that only this page throws a 404 error and the rest does not. I checked the delete-from-list.php file and it was not corrupted or anything like that.

I checked the .htaccess file outside of your sendy's folder and saw that it was filled with 219 lines of code. I am 99.99% sure there is a .htaccess file conflict between this .htaccess file and Sendy's .htaccess file, but I don't know what causes it.

If it was your host who wrote the code in the .htaccess file outside of sendy's folder, please consult your host on what may be wrong. Alternatively, create a sub domain, something like http://sendy.jbullivant.com and move your files there so there will not be any .htaccess file conflict.

This is not a bug with Sendy hence there's nothing to fix.

Thanks.

Ben

• Thanks for all your help Ben, I kind of had a feeling there would be a conflict, but I didn't set the site up initially, so I have no clue what's going on in the main .htaccess

If I set up a sub-domain though, I would generally just forward it to a folder (which Sendy is already in). Wouldn't I have to move my main site into it's own folder folder and then Sendy in another folder not contained within the main site's installation or just by setting up a sub domain would fix this?

• I just set up a sub-domain, pointing to the sendy install. It wasn't working so I called my hosting company. They looked at it the best they could, but obviously they are not familiar with using Sendy. They said I might have to change a setting in Sendy so that is looks at sendy.jbullivant.com/login instead of jbullivant.com/sendy/login any ideas on how to fix that?

Change APP_PATH in /includes/config.php to sendy.jbullivant.com/login

Ben

• Sorry, APP_PATH in /includes/config.php should be sendy.jbullivant.com

• I must be your favorite by now...

I change the APP_PATH to http://sendy.jbullivant.com

Sendy works just fine and the URL in the address bar stay to the sendy.jbullivant.com while using it, but unfortunately when I click on Delete Subscribers it still goes to a 404 error page. This time it is not to the 404 error page that is part of my Magento installation so I atleast know that Sendy is acting on it's own.

Here's the new 404 error page:
    Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /delete-from-list could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Firstly, your /sendy/ directory still sits in the same directory as magento's .htaccess file which conflicts with it. So the result is still the same, as magento's .htaccess still interferes with Sendy.

From what I see now, the error is not a 404 error, it's a 406 Not Acceptable error page.

The strange thing is it only happens to this file, delete-from-list.php. When I access it in the browser even with the .php extension appended, http://sendy.jbullivant.com/delete-from-list.php, I get a 406 error as well. When I delete the contents of delete-from-list.php and just echos the word, 'test', it still returns a 406 error. When I change the permission of this file from 0644 to 0755, it still returns a 406 error page. No matter what, your server just does not seem to want to load this file.

Only when I change the file name from delete-from-list.php to test.php and access it from the browser, it loads. Looks as though your server does not like the file name, delete-from-list.php.

I have never seen this before nor have I any experience with magento.

Is there any way you can create a sub domain while having the sub domain's folder completely isolated from magento's files?

Ben

• It is rather strange. It works great beside that one feature. I can't find anything else wrong with it.

I'll contact my hosting company again today to see if they have any other suggestions to optimize the setup. As of right now, there is no way for me to change the directory of Magento. I think ideally there would be a folder in my public_HTML that was called Magento and then another called Sendy. It would be handy to be able to have other folders outside my Magento install as well, but unfortunately I didn't set it up and it would be an evener bigger headache for me to move Magento.

Thanks for you help Ben.

This discussion has been closed.