Skip to content

PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size

edited March 2013 in Questions

Hi there, im having problems with this from the begining, i dont know why but i think sendy is doing something wrong. This problem happens when i try to upload big csv files, right now, my php.ini and httpd.conf has the config parameters for upload files far enough up, for this situation. So i dont know whats the next... any suggestions?¿ or maybe, like i said, sendy should do it in other way... i dont know.

Cheers

Comments

• Hi @rentalia,

PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size means your server does not have enough memory to handle the volume you're trying to import. It's easy to put the blame on Sendy without considering the server's capability. If you import emails in MailChimp, Campaign Monitor or other hosted services, yes, you may not get this problem because these hosted services control what kind of server and specifications they can use and there is no doubt they're using multiple powerful servers. This is something I have no control over as Sendy is a self hosted application, hosted on the user's server instead. These servers can be anything from shared servers to VPS servers with varying CPU and memory.

Though, version 1.1.5 and above allows you to use cron to import CSVs. Timeouts like this will be handled and automatically resumed. Some servers may timeout quicker than others as everyone's server specifications are different, some servers will not time out at all. Irregardless, version 1.1.5 and above will resume importing when server times out (if a cron job is setup).

Also note that Sendy does not just import your CSV, it processes your CSV as well so that invalid emails are checked, duplicates are checked and previously bounced emails are ensured not to be imported again.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @Ben,

Yes, you're right, but thats not the problem the server has 1Gb RAM, 256Mb has the php for upload files and apache 256Mb for this type of things. So in this case, i dont think, it is that type of situation, it seems that sendy tries to allocate all file on memory, for parsing and in some those situations, it gave a this error and blank web page for user. I cant controlate this anymore, many memory for a simple service, its not a good choice. I suggest that you check it out some refactor or something if you can.

Thanks for the faster answer. Cheers

• Hi @rentalia,

the server has 1Gb RAM

May I know what is the number of records in your CSV you're importing?

256Mb has the php for upload files

Uploading files has nothing to do with PHP parsing code, reading and writing records in mySQL database.

many memory for a simple service, its not a good choice.

Sendy is a bulk email application. Everyone has different subscriber base sizes. Some can go up to millions of emails. When it does, more memory is naturally needed by the application. This is the same for any application around the world. This is not how Sendy works but how "volume" and "computing power" is correlated.

Thanks for the faster answer.

You're welcome.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.