Skip to content

Is there any way to configure Sendy's max send rate?

edited March 2013 in Suggestions

In this post (http://sendy.co/discussion/741/does-rate-limit-take-into-account-emails-we039re-already-sending#Item_1), Ben suggested that Sendy will automatically use all available send rate to send mail. As we're using Sendy on an SES account with existing usage, this puts us in a bind.

1) How does Sendy handle situations where SES reports over-limit and prevents sending? Will the message be attempted again, or does it silently fail?

2) Is there any way to configure Sendy's max send rate to something below SES's set rate limit?

Comments

• 1) How does Sendy handle situations where SES reports over-limit and prevents sending? Will the message be attempted again, or does it silently fail?

For SES send rate, Sendy throttles sending up to the micro second so it will never go over x emails per second. Even if it does and an email cannot be sent out, the script will wait 1 second before attempting to send again. If it doesn't get sent, this email will be logged in your report.

2) Is there any way to configure Sendy's max send rate to something below SES's set rate limit?

No, not at this time. Previously, lots of users have been sending feedback saying sending is slow. So I used curl_multi_* family of functions to send multi-threaded emails according to user's SES send rate 15 versions ago. I didn't expect anyone to want to lower their send rate until now. Something for me to think about.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben,

I have been using Sendy for one and half year with SES, I was happy with that since few weeks. I had problem with Amazon SES and Orange spam politics (french provider). So I left SES for Mandrill, everything is fine except the sending rate on Sendy side. Mandrill is now offering more than 200 000 emails/hour for my account but Sendy is still using very slow rate (2/s I guess). I would like to change the sending rate and enable Multithreading, how I can do that?

Thanks,
    Eric

• eric7472 what version do u use for sendy ?

• Hi Wendi,

• I would like the ability to slow sendys rate to 1 email every 30 seconds. I find that many emails are going directly to spam because of the high rate of send. Some other sites use a rate of 1:40sec and I have expirenced high return on them. I was previously using 10 emails per second. I am about to move it down to 1 per second, however I would very much like to be able to use a .2 or .1 in the rate designation box to slow it down even further.

• Hey Ben,

We have the same problem what Eric has:

"I have been using Sendy for one and half year with SES, I was happy with that since few weeks. I had problem with Amazon SES and Orange spam politics (french provider). So I left SES for Mandrill, everything is fine except the sending rate on Sendy side. Mandrill is now offering more than 200 000 emails/hour for my account but Sendy is still using very slow rate (2/s I guess). I would like to change the sending rate and enable Multithreading, how I can do that?"

Can you help us with that?

• Same issue Eric has here too. Any ideas? Multi-threading?

• Has anyone been able to increase the SMTP send rate? SES is not an option for us