Skip to content

End users receiving duplicate emails

edited March 2013 in Troubleshooting

Hi Ben,

I've been receiving various complaints about recipients receiving duplicate emails to the same email address running 1.1.5.4. I've confirmed that I do not have duplicate emails and I myself am receiving duplicate email on sends as well as duplicate campaign sent messages. I've confirmed that these are duplicating on GMail, Apple Mail and Outlook. What's strange is that my SES sends appear to match my list size (115k).

I've been playing around to see if I could find a common link and what I've found is that I'm only receiving complaints when I schedule an email (instead of an immediate send) and then its only an issue if its scheduled at the top of the hour (e.g. 5:00 AM as opposed to 5:10 AM).

Would you try to re-create this and see if you have the same issue?

Comments

• BenBen
    edited March 2013

Hi @jereami,

Are you saying you sent to a list of 115k and Amazon SES quota also reflects the same number, but you and your recipients have been receiving more than one email?

Ben

• Yes, that's correct.

• That is strange. Sounds like an issue with SES.

For the duplicate emails that you've received, can you view the raw headers, then copy and paste them into a text file (for both emails) and send it to me at (hello at sendy dot co)

Thanks.

Ben

• Ben,

You should have received a couple of emails from me.

• Hi @jereami,

I received your emails. Can't really make out anything though. Can you visit this http://your_sendy_installation_url/remove-duplicates to check if you have duplicate email addresses in any lists.

If the number of emails sent via Sendy matches what is shown in your SES quota, Sendy is not sending any duplicates.

Thanks.

Ben

• Thanks for the reply @ben.

I did that before I contacted you. It's really strange what's going on. I sent a campaign yesterday, no issue. The day before, people received duplicates and I received the duplicate campaign sent email. If you wouldn't mind, keep this thread open for a while and I'll keep trying to narrow this down and update on my status.

Thanks for the help.

• Problem found. It was with CRON. Somehow my CRON job got pushed to running every minute. Pushed it up to 3 minutes, issue solved. From what I can tell It was duplicating the batch that happened to be sent at the very moment the CRON job cycled. Those group of users would receive duplicate emails. Why it didn't count against SES I haven't a clue.

• Hi @jereami,

Your cron job interval should be 'every 5 minutes', not 1 minute or 3 minutes though. This is described in the cron job setup instructions:

Why it didn't count against SES I haven't a clue.

I'm not so sure either.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.