Skip to content

Duplicate sends and higher complaint rates

edited April 2013 in Troubleshooting

So last few sends, there has been an overage on sends (a very small percentage) that I've noticed on sending but can't easily find stats on it after the send is complete (reports show the un-inflated number). At the same time, as I'm migrating recipients over from another system (dedicated IP, not using Sendy or SES) to Sendy/SES, I'm seeing an unusually high complaint rate. I'm on 1.1.5.4 (realize there's an upgrade). I've read several other threads here on the overmailing, but didn't find any where it was just a small %. I'm wondering if there's a correlation between the two things- Ben- ever heard of this? I've got full authentication in place and confirm it on every send. These are all opted-in recipients. I'm fully expecting 3-5 complaints per 10k sent at most (because that's what I'm seeing when emailing the same recipients a week earlier on my other system). I'm seeing 20-40. Maybe it's an SES IP reputation issue? Though I'm doubting that as don't complaints count as proactive clicks on "this is spam" vs. ISP-level activity?

Comments

• BenBen
    edited April 2013

Hi @Zoomcake,

Previously, a few users reported that duplicates were sent when they send their campaign, no matter how many times or how vigorously I have tested, I can never reproduce this issue. Until I realized users with this issue has been hitting the 'Resume' button repeatedly while ignoring the warnings that pops up before proceeding.

So I released an update, 1.1.5.5 (you're on 1.1.5.4) and here's the change log:

Checking of sending time outs will be stopped in case user clicks "Resume" while already having cron resume sending when sending time out which will eliminate possibilities of sending an email to a recipient more than once.

This will prevent the issue with duplicates being sent out if users hit 'Resume' even when they already have a cron job setup that automatically resumes sending.

The latest version, 1.1.6 I released yesterday has the following in the change log:

'Resume' button will be removed if cron is detected to be setup for sending as sending will automatically resume if sending time out

I have decided to remove the 'Resume' button altogether if a cron job is detected to be setup so as to eliminate this human error.

If you're not using a cron job to send emails and hit the 'Resume' button when sending did not timeout, it's a judgement issue. So I always encourage users to setup a cron job to send emails, a big blue note is placed near the 'send now' button encouraging users to setup a cron job to send emails to eliminate human error.

With regards to higher complaint rates, I don't think it's an SES IP reputation issue and you're right about only proactive clicks increases this figure.

Thanks.

Ben

• So, and meant to say this in the original post (as I've seen it in other threads), I've got a cron job set up every 5 minutes at 0 on the hour, 5 on the hour, .... up to 45 on the hour (GoDaddy limitation of 10 jobs, and the workaround of "twice an hour" is no longer available). I've never resumed (and never had the chance to see the resume button), and never had a job stop on me.

What I AM doing is monitoring the sends on the All Campaigns page (where all sends are listed), and refreshing that page to watch the progress, as well as watching on the specific campaign report page and refreshing that page to watch stats in-flight- could either of those two things do it?

Thanks!

• Hi @Zoomcake,

and never had the chance to see the resume button

Can you confirm that the 'Resume' button aren't present while sending? That's not possible because the resume button is only removed in the latest version 1.1.6 (you're on 1.1.5.4).

What I AM doing is monitoring the sends on the All Campaigns page (where all sends are listed), and refreshing that page to watch the progress, as well as watching on the specific campaign report page and refreshing that page to watch stats in-flight- could either of those two things do it?

No this won't do it.

Anyways, I just re-read your original post and realized that it's the 'percentage' feedback that shows a little over 100%. You should be safe, no duplicates should be sent as long as you did not click the 'Resume' button repeatedly while having a cron job setup.

Thanks.

Ben

• I don't ever remember seeing the Resume button (let alone pressing it). But since I've got cron generally set up, won't it not appear in the first place?

• BenBen
    edited October 2013

Hi @texasjohn,

I don't ever remember seeing the Resume button (let alone pressing it)

The 'Resume' button appears right beside the campaign title in the 'All campaigns' page. It should appear in 1.1.5.4. It's removed in 1.1.6.

Ben

• Never see it- if the campaign is in-flight, I'll always see the progress spinner (and these recent sends have taken several hours given my SES throttle). and other way to be sending duplicates besides hitting Resume and having cron going at the same time?

• As mentioned, I don't think you are sending duplicates. There're no other ways you can be sending duplicates other than hitting Resume and having cron going at the same time (won't be possible to do so anymore in the latest version), or hitting Resume repeatedly when sending did not time out.

This discussion has been closed.