Skip to content

Outlook.com not displaying images

We are finding that images included in emails are not displaying in Outlook.com (the web based email services from Microsoft). I know that Outlook.com uses a proxy-based content filtering mechanism but I am seeing the URLs to the images being rendered correctly. Even then, Outlook.com reports 404 for each of the images.

Is this a known problem? Any solutions to this?

Comments

• Hi @technology_welue,

Whether your newsletter displays correctly or if images are displayed at all is dependant on how your newsletter is coded.

Are you using absolute URLs to your images or relative URLs? It has to be absolute URLs in order for images to be displayed in any email client.

Thanks.

Ben

• We are using absolute URLs. As I mentioned, the emails open absolutely fine with all other email clients, including web based clients like Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.

• Hi @technology_welue,

As I mentioned, the emails open absolutely fine with all other email clients, including web based clients like Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.

Sorry but I did not see this mentioned anywhere. :)

Can you include a link to download your HTML code so I can help you take a look?

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi Ben

Never mind, I found the problem. Our Sendy server is behind a firewall and was not accessible from the Outlook.com proxy server. Since Outlook.com attempts to load images through its proxy, the requests from the proxy were not reaching our Sendy server. All other clients load images directly so were working fine.

• Alright, glad that you found the cause of the issue.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.