Skip to content

HTML Entities being converted to single chars

Since version 1.1.6 I've been fighting with special chars, accented chars and so on within Sendy. BTW, issues I didn't have before.

What's driving me crazy is that special HTML entities (like ♥) are being converted to the special char ♥ in the sent email.

I never use the visual editor, because I expect my HTML code to be kept untouched by Sendy, but there is no way I can ensure this.

I looked for similar issues before posting, but unfortunately I was not able to identify anything.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi Janio,

What's driving me crazy is that special HTML entities (like ♥) are being converted to the special char ♥ in the sent email.

Using HTML entities like ♥ in your HTML will automatically display ♥ in the email client or browser (basically any HTML parsers).

If you don't wish for ♥ to be converted to ♥, can you let me know why you'd use the ♥ HTML entity in your email?

Thanks.

Ben

• I never use the visual editor, because I expect my HTML code to be kept untouched by Sendy, but there is no way I can ensure this.

Sendy will not touch, change or alter your HTML code.

Ben

• So how can you explain that the email delivered to my contacts has not the same HTML I wrote?

I'm talking about autoresponders, I didn't try the newest Sendy with regular campaigns yet (I did, but the emails got no HTML entity in their bodies).

:-/

• I want the ♥ and other entities (like accented chars) to be rendered by the final client (GMail, the web page, and so on). It is very, very difficult to transport international characters via email if they are "unescaped". HTML entities, AFAIK, were created in order to allow one to write on languages other than English without messing with encoding, code pages and so on.

• So how can you explain that the email delivered to my contacts has not the same HTML I wrote?

If you check Sendy's code directly, you will find that Sendy does not modifiy your HTML code. ♥ gets converted to ♥ at the displaying end (no matter what the email client is) sounds correct to me.

PM me your Sendy login so I can grab the HTML for testing on my side.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.