Skip to content

Amazon SES account suspended due to high bounce rate

edited May 2013 in Troubleshooting

Hi

I have just move my list to Sendy and yesterday after finishing setup, i have send a test newsletter for about 50% of my list..

My list is old and i used to send it from my host service, so i never to get any analytics on it before, and thats one of the reason i moved to Sendy.

We send a weekly newsletter. so we send No more than 5 or 6 newsletters or email a month.

i have about 22000 emails, i was sure i was going to get a high bounce rate... but i thought Sendy will fix that etc...

I have read the (Sendy is Beautiful... Amazon SES, not so much...) i think i setup the Bounce and complain wrong!

here is what i got from Amazon::
*Critically High Bounce Rate: 2,440 of the last approximately 10,000 distinct email addresses you sent email to resulted in a hard bounce.

any advice on what to do next???

Comments

• Hi @ee98iae,

i have about 22000 emails, i was sure i was going to get a high bounce rate... but i thought Sendy will fix that etc...

Sendy will register any bounces when you send a campaign so that the next time you send a campaign it will not be sent to them again. But if you start out sending a campaign to a list with lots of invalid emails, this is what will happen.

2,440 bounces out of 10,000 emails sent is 24% bounce rate which is incredibly high. Amazon only tolerates up to 5%. Anything more, they will consider you sending spam and as a result, block your SES account.

See Amazon's stance about bounce rates and sending to old lists:

Source: Amazon SES Best Practices White Paper

If you have previously setup bounces/complaints handling correctly, these bounced emails will be registered in Sendy. The only thing you can do now is to reply to Amazon's suspension email and tell them you will not send to these bounced emails from your next campaign onwards and hope for the best.

Thanks.

Ben

• Thank you Ben i have emailed them, lets hope.

This discussion has been closed.