Skip to content

Running import-csv.php and 500 Internal Server Error

edited June 2013 in Troubleshooting

Is it possible to put a limit number of email imported each time to avoid this error ? if not how can i add this ?

regards marc

Comments

• Hi @marciv,

If you're getting 500 internal server error while importing a CSV, your server timed out. The solution is to setup a cron job for CSV imports. The cron setup instructions can be found at the "Add subscribers" page (where you import your CSV).

Is it possible to put a limit number of email imported each time to avoid this error ? if not how can i add this ?

Save your CSV into several smaller chunks.

Again, setting up a cron job to import your CSVs especially when they are huge would be the best solution as it features automatic resume if the import times out. The importing will also be done completely in the background on the server.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• edited June 2013

If you're getting 500 internal server error while importing a CSV, your server timed out. The solution is to setup a cron job

=> it's what I did here is the result

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an intern

=> sorry i am serious in email marketing my list is >500k@ i can't handle small list of 20k@

Again, setting up a cron job to import your CSVs especially when they are huge would be the best solution as it features automatic resume if the import times out.

=> This is my cron target which is time out !

So at the beginning despite time ou error everythin was ok Email are imported (cron is updated every minute) but about 20k@ it stop...

I need a decent solution ;-)

regards marc

• BenBen
    edited June 2013

Hi @marciv,

I see you're hosted on OVH, are you on the shared or VPS server?

Also, did you see the 500 error upon uploading your 500k CSV? If so what is your CSV's file size and your PHP's
    upload_max_filesize?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• I am on shared hosting with powerfull private mysql i can't change these parameter.

SO my first question was can i manage you script to be short enought to run each time <30s. Where can i insert a break in php ?

• BenBen
    edited June 2013

@marciv,

I am on shared hosting with powerfull private mysql i can't change these parameter.

sorry i am serious in email marketing my list is >500k@ i can't handle small list of 20k@

Your list is half a million in size and you're running Sendy on a shared server? If you're serious about email marketing, I suggest running Sendy on a VPS server especially with an enormous subscriber base of 500,000 emails.

SO my first question was can i manage you script to be short enought to run each time <30s. Where can i insert a break in php ?

What you're experiencing is not PHP timeout, it's either memory exhaustion or your host is limiting your upload file size with upload_max_filesize. Shared servers only give you a limited amount of server resources, limited CPU and limited memory. In other words, you're using an severely under-powered server to run Sendy on a gigantic list of 500,000 subscribers.

I am on shared hosting with powerfull private mysql i can't change these parameter.

You need to be able to change upload_max_filesize to match the size of the CSV you're uploading, otherwise your CSV cannot be uploaded. You have 2 options:

1. Switch to a VPS server to run Sendy, this way you won't have restrictions like this and your server will be better able to handle your huge volume of subscribers
    2. Split your CSV into smaller sized chunks so that your server allows you to upload them

Lastly, Sendy is only restricted by the kind of server you run on. You can run it on a shared server, it's fine, as long as your subscriber base is not too big. 500,000 is out of question for a shared server.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Ben, i understand very well. My hosting service is limited.
    But the problem is not csv uploading wich works fine, but during import csv to mysql wich
    But it ll be easy to split the list at the begining (when you upload csv first time) and to handle small list each time you run cron job to avoid time out error. That't my purpose

Now i have to give up with sendy because i can't manage a VPS or a dedicated server myself.
    Regards, marc

This discussion has been closed.