Skip to content

Thank you email not getting sent via SMTP

edited June 2013 in Troubleshooting

Hi,

I have a problem with Sendy, no matter how I subscribe the user (API or POST request), the thank-you email never gets sent.
Note that I use Sendgrid SMTP and not Amazon's SES but that shouldn't change anything.

What works:

• Sending newsletters to subscribers
  • Sending test messages

The only thing that doesn't work is the thank-you email.
Btw, I'm using single opt-in.

Thanks,

JoeDRL

Comments

• Hi @JoeDRL,

I just tested on my side with Gmail's SMTP, single opt-in as well and it works. I received the thank you email.

Did you check the box Send user a thank you email after they subscribe through the subscribe form or API??

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Yes I did, I tested with it checked and unchecked and none work.
    That's quite strange since every other email sending is working but that thank-you email.

• Hi @JoeDRL,

Try changing your content to some simple texts? I'm not sure what it is but may be worth a try.

Alternatively you can create an Autoresponder "Drip Campaign" to send an email to the user immediately after subscribe. There are many other benefits of using Autoresponders for "thank you emails", eg. reports and personalization tags.

Best regards,
    Ben

• I just did that and it didn't work either.

Allright I'll try that, just a question first, will the autoresponder be cued to be sent with the cron job running every 5 minutes or will it be sent immediately after sign-up?

Because for my use case, waiting 5 minutes to get the thank-you email is a lot of time.

• Just tried confirmation email for testing purposes and it doesn't work either...
    There's no way I can get around confirmation emails.

Will do more tests and post the results

• Hi @JoeDRL,

I just realized "thank you emails" and "confirmation emails" aren't sent through SMTP. They're sent through PHP's sendmail if you're not sending via Amazon SES. Sorry it didn't come across to me earlier as this part was coded quite some time ago. I think you don't have sendmail enabled on Digitalocean. Any chance to enable it?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Haaa I see.
    Using sendmail could be done, but I would prefer doing it over SMTP.

Would it be that hard for me to patch up sendy to send it through SMTP? I'm fluent in PHP and could do it if you pointed out some files for me to check and maybe your functions for sending through SMTP.

Thanks,

Joe

• Hi Joe,

I've just sent you the files to upload onto your server. These updated files will make Sendy fallback to use SMTP for "Thank you", "Good bye" and "Subscription confirmation" emails if SMTP settings are available and if Amazon credentials are not set in Settings.

This will be release in the next update. :)

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hey, thanks Ben :)
    I'll try that soon and let you know how it works!

• You're welcome! I've already tested and it's all working. If you have any problems, just reply the PM I just sent.

• This is now fixed in version 1.1.7.

This discussion has been closed.