Skip to content

How to send only 500 mails per hour

edited May 2018 in Using Sendy

My host has a limit of 500 mails per hour - which I didn't know - and which could explain the low opening rate when I sent out to a list of 1300 subscribers. Almost 2/3 never got the mail.

So if I can set up the system to send to 500 at a time, it will "only" take me three hours to reach the 1300 subscribers.

I found this on Hostgator (our webhost) about this 500 email limit:

Any time you're sending a message no matter how large your e-mail list is you must throttle it. We recommend you throttle it to at the very least sending 1 email every 8 seconds. (Sending 1 every 8 seconds would send 450 emails within 1 hour, keeping you below the 500 outgoing email limit.) If the mailing list software you're using does not allow you to throttle you must switch to an application or script that will.

Does Sendy use this throttle thing?

And if so, it should be possible to set it to 1 email every 8 seconds, shouldn't it?

Comments

• BenBen
    edited May 2018

Hi Britt,

Sendy is built for sending with Amazon SES, not for sending via your server in which deliverability rate will be low. Hence Sendy wasn't designed to throttle to satisfy the web host's requirements as it designed to send via Amazon SES instead.

I understand that your Amazon SES account has been suspended hence you're using the server to send and Hostgator limits you at 500 emails / hour on your shared server.

If you want to send 1 email every 8 seconds, you'd need to do the following:

Find the code $mail->Send(); in scheduled.php and includes/create/send-now.php and paste in sleep(8); after that line of code.

$mail->Send();

sleep(8);

Best regards,
    Ben

• You're awesome, Ben :)

Thanks a lot!

• You're very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.