How to increase # of email per hour

edited July 2013 in Questions

Hi,

I hava a VPS with following specs.
100GB HDD
3GB Ram
100Mb/s BW
8 cores CPU.

Currently, I set the cron to run every minute and the maximum rate I can get is about 5000 emails / hour.
I used htop to monitor the VPS and found that only half of RAM and partial CPU (about 5%). Sometimes 4 cores of the CPU reaches 70% ...

I think my VPS can be utilized to increase the # of mails / hour but I do not know how to tweak the config of server and scripts.

Anybody please share your success to help me and others to get best use of the VPS.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Hi @baochau,

Currently, I set the cron to run every minute

You should not set your cron job for scheduled.php to run every minute. This will yield unexpected results. The instructions specify that you should set your cron job for scheduled.php to run every 5 minutes. Please set it to 5 minutes. Increasing your cron job interval does not affect sending speed.

and the maximum rate I can get is about 5000 emails / hour

That's pretty slow. The last test campaign I sent a week ago to 10,000 emails took 9 minutes+. I'm using Amazon EC2 'small' instance with 1.7GB of RAM.

Please note that geolocation of your server makes quite a big difference. The closer the physical location of your server running Sendy is to Amazon SES's servers (located in east of U.S.), the faster your sending speed.

Sending speed is the fastest when you host Sendy on Amazon EC2 (U.S. East) servers.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Thank you very much for your response,
    Could you please recommend me any tweak to help the system send mails faster?
    My VPS is located in Germany.

• You're welcome. There's nothing to tweak, your VPS specs are good except that it's located in Germany which is a huge distance from the east of U.S. where Amazon SES servers reside.

• Actually, I have used Interspire Email Marketer before in the same server. With that script, I can send up to 130K mail/days. However, I found that your script SENDY getting slower and slower. Now, after one day, I can send only about 71 K email. I do not know why.

The main reason that I bought this script because I do not know why the IEM cannot send some specific campaigns. Further, your report is nice and your script is better integrated with Amazon SES.

I hope SENDY can be improved in near future including with a lot of missing features like Pause and Resume ...

Thank you for your support.

• Hi @baochau,

There are no problems with your server specs, the bottleneck is your server's geolocation.

Because Sendy sends emails via Amazon SES, your server's physical location plays a big part. Having your server hosted in Germany will significantly bring down your sending speed when your emails are transferred from your server to Amazon SES for sending. Latency will be very noticeable between Germany (where your server is) and U.S. east (where Amazon SES is).

If you want the best sending speed, host Sendy on Amazon EC2 using U.S. East servers. As I've mentioned, the last test I sent to 10,000 emails on EC2 took only 9mins+ compared to 5,000 emails /hour when sending from your server.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

This discussion has been closed.