Skip to content

Change WYSIWYG Editor to CKEditor?

edited December 2012 in Suggestions
I was thinking maybe switching the WYSIWYG Editor to something like CKEditor would solve the "editor" issues. The Redactor editor is nice, but it's missing some basic features of a WYSIWYG that make it pretty much unusable except for basic text formatting.

Devs-- What are your thoughts on this? I may attempt to modify the code myself to include the CKEditor.

This really seems like a great project with alot of potential, but right now I think it's almost unusable if you are not well versed in HTML. I'm sure it will evolve into a great self hosted email option, and it's very close, but as others have stated the editor is really lacking.

If I do include the CKEditor, I'll update the thread and I guess I can send the source.

Comments

• I vote for more editor features. For example: to change font-size, to edit table in wysiwyg mode etc

• +1

Redactor is lightweight but it's unusable. Currently every e-mail template uses HTML boilerplate like this. Also we always start our e-mail design with this boilerplate. Redactor doesn't have the ability of parsing this CSS. Moreover it cannot ignore it properly. Even tries to remove these codes but sucks badly. The end result is unusable for my customers.

Currently i'm trying to replace it with CKEditor. I'll inform you about my progress.

• OK. I've successfully implemented basic integration (only load&save support).

Here's how to do it (this tutorial is based on v1.1.7.5):

• Download a CKEditor with wysiwygarea plugin.
    • Upload ckeditor folder under the js folder of Sendy.
    • Delete edit.php line 6 (which includes redactor stylesheet) and change line 5 to load ckeditor.js.
    • Delete line 4-37 and change with CKEDITOR.replace('html');
    • Add these lines to the end of the js/ckeditor/config.js
    config.fullPage = true;
    config.allowedContent = true;
    config.extraPlugins = 'wysiwygarea';

This configuration makes CKEditor to wrap it's editable content with an iframe. This way it isolates stylesheets with Sendy's styles. Also allowedContent disables CKEditor's filtering mechanism. So this configuration should cover most of the HTML problems you have with Redactor. You can add config.removePlugins = 'magicline'; to disable the red line which can be useful for adding new paragraphs. But i think it's confusing. I've also removed some plugins to disable outline of tables divs etc. Feel free to hack it.

• I've implemented upload/browse functions too. Here's my gist. As long as i need improvements, i'll update this gist. Feel free to modify or make suggestions.

• Is it still possible to use this in the latest version? (1.1.8.2)
    I would like to use CKEDITOR instead of Redactor.

• +1
    Redactor is not friendly to non-coders. For example, if I press Enter to add an empty paragraph, in the end the paragraph is still removed. Also it's very easy to break.

• Hey szabo_sandor_istvan - I tried your TinyMCE integration - it works, BUT, the clicks/opens no longer record properly? Any idea why that is? Everything else about it works fine, and I prefer to be able to track clicks/links...

• Hey bdemirkir, you mention load, save options, where are they? I integrated with ckeditor as you say, the only thing I have are basic html editor as before, nothing else? The browser for images seems different, but how do I load/save templates?

Thanks,
    -Brett

• I vote too for a different editor.

Redactor has caused me problems.

• Sendy now uses CKEditor (version 1.1.9.5 and up).

This discussion has been closed.