Skip to content

How does open tracking work?

edited June 2014 in Questions

I'm looking for how 'mail tracking' works, and then I see this discussion :https://sendy.co/forum/discussion/361/recipients-getting-a-warning-message-when-clicking-our-links/p1
The files and codes used for 'link tracking' and 'open tracking' in this discussion is version 1.1.9, so there's un little defference with the current version. I verify that, and I think it's the setting about SMTP (host, port etc).
As I know the settings SMTP are only used for non-use AWS SES. I use AWS SES, I'd like to know how the 'mail tracking' works?
I thing when recipients open and click the link, there will be 1 request send to server. So this request is sent to AWS SES or Sendy?
Thank you

Comments

• Hi,

Sendy embeds a 1x1pixel image at the bottom of every newsletter for 'opens' tracking.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer, what about the 'Display images' message, does the tracking work if the recipient does not accept to display images?

Thanks and regards

Guillaume

• Plus, if I understand well, the url for this 1*1px image is different for each mail in order to identify which recipient loaded this image, is that correct?
    Regards

• Hi Guillaume,

does the tracking work if the recipient does not accept to display images?

No, if the user does not turn on images, opens tracking will not be possible. This is universally so for all email marketing platforms.

the url for this 1*1px image is different for each mail in order to identify which recipient loaded this image, is that correct?

That's correct.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Thanks Ben

This discussion has been closed.