Skip to content

Cron issues with Media Temple (Grid)

edited October 2014 in Troubleshooting

Got sendy all set up and running no problem - but had a couple of issues with media temple and cron.

Firstly, cron only runs every 5 minutes - isn't gonna be a problem at every 5 mins instead of every minute is it?

Secondly the cron runs, but no output, no errors (that I can see) and no emails.... Anyone with this working on Media Temple have to change anything to get it running well?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• Hi,

Firstly, cron only runs every 5 minutes - isn't gonna be a problem at every 5 mins instead of every minute is it?

The scheduled.php script (for sending/scheduling emails) requires a cron job that runs every 5 minutes. So that's not an issue.

Secondly the cron runs, but no output, no errors (that I can see) and no emails.... Anyone with this working on Media Temple have to change anything to get it running well?

Please check with MediaTemple support on what you need to enable to run a cron job. Also check with them if there's anything wrong with your cron job.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• edited October 2014

Hey Ben, I wondered about every minute as thats specifically what is mentioned in the cron modal window..

"This command needs to be run every minute in order to check the database for any autoresponder emails to send. You'll need to set your cron job with the following. "

I've been chatting with MT support and they say the cron is set up and correctly running...

When I run the command php /home/127624/domains/texfly.com/html/sendy/scheduled.php in an SSH window there are no errors, or messages and even when I set <?php ini_set('display_errors', 1);?> in the scheduled.php file.

Any other idea's?

Many thanks for your time,
    Steve

• Also, even if I put http://www.texfly.com/sendy/scheduled.php in the browser I still see the 'cron configuration modal window' when I click on Autoresponders.... I'm guess that shouldn't be the case?

• Hi,

I wondered about every minute as thats specifically what is mentioned in the cron modal window..

Cron jobs that needs to run every minute is only for 'Autoresponders' and 'CSV import', not 'Sending/scheduling emails'.

When I run the command "php /home/127624/domains/texfly.com/html/sendy/scheduled.php" in an SSH window there are no errors, or messages and even when I set <?php ini_set('display_errors', 1);?> in the scheduled.php file.
    Also, even if I put http://www.texfly.com/sendy/scheduled.php in the browser I still see the 'cron configuration modal window' when I click on Autoresponders.... I'm guess that shouldn't be the case?

That is very strange though, that shouldn't be the case. If scheduled.php is executed, the blue cron job setup instructions will disappear.

Try doing a full re-upgrade to the latest version of Sendy to make sure all necessary files are uploaded:

1. Download the full build of Sendy from http://sendy.co/get-updated (use the form right at the top to download the full build of Sendy).

2. Then re-upload all of Sendy's files to your server (except /includes/config.php and /uploads/ folder) replacing the old ones.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• I'll try a full upgrade now (only downloaded it yesterday, so should have the latest version already).

I primarily want sendy to send autoresponder emails - does that have to have a cron run every minute?

• Ben sorry I guess I misread the docs
    I didnt realise i needed calls to both the scheduyled and the autoresponder php files.
    I've set them up on another server wget url/scheduled.php for every 5 mins and every 1 min for the autoresponder.

Will find out shortly if that fixes this prob!

• Boom, all up and running - thanks very much for your help Ben, really appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.