Skip to content

Filtering recipients by custom field

edited August 2013 in Suggestions

Hey Ben,

Awesome program, love the interface and speed. Seems very robust too. I'm coming from PHPlist, which was also great but a lot more clunky. One thing that we really miss is ability to send to only certain members of a list, filtered by country and also custom fields. At the moment we can't use Sendy as our "subscriber database" like we could with phplist. We can just use Sendy as the front end for sending emails. Reason is, if we want to send a campaign to a specific subset of subscribers we need to export the list, filter it manually in excel, then reimport a new list for that campaign. I imagine a lot of people would love this feature - it would make sendy much more powerful! Any plans to add something like that in the future?

Comments

• Yes that is in my plans. Thanks.

• I also want to say thanks, great program.

I'm coming from MailChimp. But I do really miss list filtering and segmentation.
    Having to import a new list means no unsubscribe flag, amongst other issues.
    Hope to see this soon. ;)

• Yes, great program. Sendy is excellent.... I also miss filtering and segmentation and idea Ben on ETA for when that may be available?

• I have been working on an addition module to create filtered lists as it seems to be something that Sendy really needs. This was the quickest and easiest way I thought a filtering option could be added.

Maybe somebody else can use some of these ideas.

1. I added a new custom field type called numeric to be able to filter by a numeric range.
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14569277/Screenshot 2013-11-21 20.26.23.png

2. I created a new option under Lists & Subscribers called Create filtered list. This will allow you to chose the master list which contains the custom fields you want to sort on.
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14569277/Screenshot 2013-11-21 20.26.44.png

3. Once you select the master list it checks which custom fields are available on this list and displays the appropriate filtering options. I still need to do some work here, but the basic implementation works great.
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14569277/Screenshot 2013-11-21 20.27.41.png

4. Once you have chosen your filter parameters it will allow you to confirm your selection and show you have many records are being filtered out.
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14569277/Screenshot 2013-11-21 20.27.57.png

5. When you confirm it creates a new list for you and automatically imports the filtered users in to the new list. You can then use this list for your targeted campaign.
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14569277/Screenshot 2013-11-21 20.28.19.png

Once I have finished this I have no problem sharing the code, if that is allowed?

Hope this gives the Sendy devs some more ideas :D

• Hi there,

I'd like to second the need for filtered list. We are offering newsletters to our customers, but depending on the customer we may want to send them different versions of that newsletter, or not sending newsletters to some customers at all. Let's say if a customer buys product A, we would like to promote the complementary product B. But if he doesn't buy product A, then there's no point of promoting product B, so we will not include him in this newsletter.

I'd say filtering is a crucial feature in order to keep the relevance (and hence the acceptance) of newsletters high.

I am aware that I can create new lists, but this would make the subscribe/ unsubscribe feature very hard to manage.

What we want to do is that:

• Include all customers in an initial newsletter, allowing them to unsubscribe
    • Then send newsletters to certain segments of the entire list (e. g. customers in the north require different products than those in the south)

Is there any way of doing this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• This is a super-important feature for us, to be able to simply filter a list for any given campaign.
    Will use export/import in the meantime.
    Thanks,
    m

• I Third this Feature! This is a Must. Even make it Quick and dirty like adding a SQL feild, or adding a check box, anything.

Hell charge us $10 for it, I want it, I need it!

Guess I'm going to be exporting, Creating a new list, then re-importing.

• Have been trying to figure out how to do this, I guess it isn't possible.

Any update on when this may be added? Is it actively being worked on? It was mentioned in August 2013 "it is in the plans"....

• +10 for this. Having lots of customers with different parameters it's important to reach out to subsets of them based on data we are collecting. This is what makes email so powerful is to be personal.

Any update on this?

• +10 from me as well. Custom field filtering is super important and would be amazing. I have bought sendy but ended up going back to phplist because sending criteria-targeted mailings isn't possible without a lot of manual exporting and importing.

• We are almost a year further in time, still not implemented.
    This feature is a must-have for my cliënts to succesfully use Sendy. For example, my cliënt wants a field where the receivers set where they know the brand from. For example from a exposition, so my cliënt can specifically send a newsletter to the people that saw him at the exposition.

Any update on this please?

• +1 This is a must-have and the UI proposal looks fine.

Any news??

• I would also LOVE this feature. The business I work for trying to transitioning to Sendy from using both MailChimp and our own internally developed email system. Our original system (internally developed) uses a single table that adds a record every time a customer purchases a product. Table Fields: Name, Email, Item Title.

If a customer buys Product A first and then Product B, they have two records in the database. I can search by Item Title and send emails to people who bought Product B. So far, I don't see a way to do that in Sendy. When I import our database to Sendy, all records with duplicate email addresses are stripped out. Now it looks like the customer only bought Product A, there is literally no record they bought Product B.

Like most businesses, our repeat customers are of immense value to us. We'd love to keep them happy by NOT sending them irrelevant emails because we can't properly target according to their complete purchase history. - Suzanne B.

• edited August 2014

+1000!!

• +1 for this. When I first looked into Sendy and saw how it leveraged an SQL database on the server I assumed this sort of thing would be possible.

We already have a table of Users, with different User Types, so figured we'd be able to send a newsletter to all users where UserLevel = 1 or UserLevel = 2 etc

I assume this can still be done but less directly, ie create a query in SQL, export it out, and import it into Sendy.

• Any word on this at all? I have a client who have paid their $ and are asking if and when this functionality might be available.

Updated lists can be exported out from our main table of users based on a filter. But the problem is bringing back in subscribers who may have unsubscribed.

• I also vote on this! Segmentation is very important in marketing (this is a marketing tool right?), and being able to filter on a custom field is what segmentation is all about. You can achieve that by maintaining multiple lists, but it is tough work....

• Howdy - thanks Sendy dev. Robust and all you need and nothing you don't need...

Our position: we're transitioning our client email marketing from Active Campaign. Read Mail Chimp if you aren't sure what that is. Hundreds of dollars per upgrade over how many years...? And Sendy comes along and blows it out of the water. So Sendy is a real deal, and you're looking in the horse's mouth still? Sendy has been a godsend to us. It does everything we as list managers need. We can custom script activity into it across the server, or use the API. Amazon does all the heavy lifting and cleans our list for us. No more people complaining instead of unsubscribing damaging server rep. Much less wasted time throwing IP addresses into blacklists.

Re: segmentation/filtering... Question is: do you really need segmentation, or just your clients? All the segmentation/filtering I've seen a client do themselves is crap. Really. A 400 strong list with 40 segments? Come on. And they can still get the logic wrong.

Let the segment monsters go back to Mail Chimp or wherever, and the rest of us can just crack out the CSV and do some data management and celebrate the purity.

Sendy has really made us look at who we want to work with, and who wants to work with us (and Amazon) - and those who don't want to work with professionals and need a button instead of a value, happy not to have them. Really.

I vote Sendy. As it is right now.

• +1 for the feature

• +1 for filtering

• Any sign of this on the horizon? I am so gutted I can't do this.

• Same here! it would come very handy. Also maybe the ability to filter on the date of registration.

• Would be a "must have". Definitively need this.

• Hi, any news on this being added? Really need this

• Plus 1 on this..

• Any update on this?

• Would definitely pay 10-20$ just for a new release with this feature... (need it for filtering user languages)

This discussion has been closed.