Skip to content

When moving Sendy to new server, timing & order of starting cron jobs?

edited August 2015 in Questions

I'm about to move Sendy (including the domain it is on) to a new server. A straight copy from server A to server B. No change of domain.

When I update the DNS for the domain (to point to the new server) there will be a 24 hour or so period of time where people at different points around the world will begin to use the new server ..

Should I turn off the Cron Jobs on the old server immediately, and at the same time enable them on the new server?

Or should I leave the Cron Jobs running for 24 hours on the old server after updating the DNS, and have the Cron Jobs enabled immediately (or 24 hours later?..) on the new server?

I'm thinking there must be an optimal order and timing of this process!

And while the new server is awaiting the DNS to resolve, will Sendy which is installed there (and if Cron Jobs are set up) operate as normal, or does it self-check the domain to ensure it is on the registered site I have it registered to? Confusing stuff (for me) because the path to install for Sendy will have it looking at the old server while DNS is still updating..

Ugh. Sorry if these are stupid questions...

Best regards,

Jordan

Comments

• Hi,

You should keep everything intact on the old server including the cron jobs. There's no need to delete them. Once the DNS switches over, it'll start using the cron jobs from the NEW server and not the old server. Everything will work itself out.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Thanks Ben, that's a relief to know, much simpler than I thought ..

Best wishes,

Jordan

This discussion has been closed.