Skip to content

Autoresponder not sending from API

edited March 2016 in Troubleshooting

Hi,

I have set up a CRON job for Sendy, and it sends the inital 'Thank you email', but not a subsequent drip autoresponder for 1 day later. The subscriber is logged, and I think the CRON job is OK, so I am mystified why it is not working.

Thanks very much for your help.

Comments

• Hi,

Please ensure your cron job for autoresponders.php is set to run every 1 minute (not anything more).

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response. It is set to 1 minute (schedule set to 5 mins).

• Ok. Have you checked your spam inbox for the email? There're no known issues with the Autoresponder feature for a long time now though.

• Hi Ben, thanks for your reply. Actually there is no activity showing at all on the Autoresponder. If I look at the Autoresponder directly, it shows 0 (zero) Emails Sent.

• BenBen
    edited March 2016

Hi,

Actually there is no activity showing at all on the Autoresponder. If I look at the Autoresponder directly, it shows 0 (zero) Emails Sent.

Ok, that means either your cron job for autoresponders.php is not working, or you added the email via Sendy's interface. Please note that Autoresponder emails only trigger when emails are added via Sendy's subscribe form or the 'subscribe' API (http://sendy.co/api), not emails imported via the user interface as Autoresponders are not designed to send emails in bulk, it's designed for new sign ups to your list. If you want to send Autoresponders to an existing list, you can try this https://sendy.co/forum/discussion/1641/the-script-i-use-to-import-contacts-via-api#Item_2

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

The email is definitely coming from the API (attached to a Firebase db), and I can't see why the CRON should be broken, since the Schedule one seems to work fine (sending out the first 'thank you for subscribing' email). I copied your support instructions to get them set up.

I know you are incredibly busy, and really appreciate your time.

Nigel

• BenBen
    edited March 2016

Hi,

Please do the following to check if your cron job for autoresponders is really working:

1. Visit http://your_sendy_installation_url/reset-cron.php to reset cron job statuses in your database
    2. Go to any one of your list, click on 'Autoresponders' at the top in the list and you should see instructions on setting up a cron job
    3. Wait around 1 minute then refresh the page, if you click on 'Autoresponders' again, it should bring you to the page to setup autoresponders. If the cron job setup instructions modal window shows up when you click 'Autoresponders', your cron job isn't executing the autoresponders.php script every 1 minute

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

Well that highlighted the fact that the CRON is not working, so thanks very much. My host is now telling me that's because the path is wrong for the CRONs.

My current CRON set up is -

php /var/www/html/sendy/scheduled.php > /dev/null 2>&1
    php /var/www/html/sendy/autoresponders.php > /dev/null 2>&1

But the webhost says that fails - /bin/ls: cannot access /var/www/html/sendy/autoresponders.php: No such file or directory

They say the files are actually located at -

/home/myhappys/public_html/sendy

e.g. /home/myhappys/public_html/sendy]# ll autoresponders.php

So now I am totally confused.

• Hi,

They say the files are actually located at -
    /home/myhappys/public_html/sendy

Try using the new path your hosting support suggested in your cron jobs and see if it works.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben, yep I think that's done it. Thanks very much for your help.

Er... maybe this answer might be worth placing on a sticky thread somewhere for future folk?

This discussion has been closed.