Skip to content

Users automatically unsubscribed

edited May 2021 in Troubleshooting

Hi. I'm having this weird behavior. I'm sending a newsletter only to my client's employees and sales network. The company uses Outlook. The problem is that as soon as emails arrive I get a few automatic unsubscribes. I talked to these people and they swear they haven't clic on the unsubscribe button. One hasn't even open the email because she is on vacations and has no email access. I tried to search for automatic unsubscribe features on Outlook and couldn't find anything about it.

Does anyone else suffer this? Any clues were this configuration is done in Outlook?

Thank you.

Comments

• BenBen
    edited May 2021

Hi,

Sendy does not automatically unsubscribe anyone randomly when you send out a campaign to your list(s). There is absolutely no reason and no code involved for Sendy to do that.

As part of email marketing's best practice, Sendy includes a List-unsubscribe header in each email sent. This List-unsubscribe header contains the unsubscribe link unique for each recipient and is used by email clients to display a native 'Unsubscribe' link at the top of the message if they choose to. Gmail for example displays a native unsubscribe link at the top of an email they think is a newsletter:

Example screenshot:  

The unsubscribe link points to the unsubscribe URL found in the List-unsubscribe header.

Some ISPs use this List-unsubscribe header data to automatically unsubscribe a user when they think the email is spam. For example corporate email servers are known to unsubscribe users with this data when they think the email is not important even before your email reaches the recipient. How email clients or ISPs use the List-unsubscribe header is out of anyone's control. 

The solution

The solution is to set your list’s ‘Unsubscribe setting’ to ‘Double opt-out’ so that another confirmation link needs to be clicked by the recipient in the unsubscribe page before they are being unsubscribed from the list.

Screenshot:  

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Thanks Ben. I always thought this was on the client's side, not on sendy. I think the key is "....some corporate email servers unsubscribes the user with this data when they think the email is not important". I'll try to dig on this with them.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.