Skip to content

Help installing Sendy

edited November 2012 in Questions
Hi,

I'm trying to install sendy but I'm stuck......

I'm running on Ubuntu 12.04 lts, LAMP is installed.
I've copied the sendy files to var/www/sendy
I created a database named sendy via phpmyadmin
I've edited includes/config.php, currently it looks like this.....(details changed obvs....)

<?php
//==================================================================================//
// Configuration
//==================================================================================//

//path to your Sendy installation (without the trailing slash)
define('APP_PATH', 'http://192.168.0.19/sendy');

//database connection credentials
$dbHost = '192.168.0.19'; //mySQL sendy
$dbUser = ''; //mySQL root
$dbPass = ''; //mySQL mypassword
$dbName = ''; //mySQL sendy

//domain of cookie (99.99% chance you don't need to edit this)
define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');

?>

However when I browse to http://192.168.0.19/sendy I get a message saying "cannot connect to database."

I'm not sure if I should be connecting as root or if I also need to create tables in the sendy database.

Please help, I have very little experience with php,sql or apache.

Thanks.

Comments

• I've just realised I've popultaed the config.php file wrong, it now looks like this but I'm still getting the same error......something must still be wrong.....

<?php
    // Configuration

//path to your Sendy installation (without the trailing slash)
    define('APP_PATH', 'http://192.168.0.19/sendy');

//database connection credentials
    $dbHost = '192.168.0.19'; //mySQL Hostname
    $dbUser = 'root'; //mySQL Username
    $dbPass = 'mypassword'; //mySQL Password
    $dbName = 'sendy'; //mySQL Database Name

//domain of cookie (99.99% chance you don't need to edit this)
    define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');

?>
  • @hemming Hi, one thing I noticed is that you're using 192.168.0.19/sendy as your APP_PATH. You should use your domain name that you purchased Sendy for instead of the IP address.
  • Hi,

I managed to get it working... I ran the following script to test the connection to mysql :

<?php
    mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "mypassword") or die(mysql_error());
    echo "Connected to MySQL<br />";
    mysql_select_db("sendy") or die(mysql_error());
    echo "Connected to Database";
    ?>

It connected ok and the next time I browsed to http://192.168.0.19/sendy I got to the installation screen.

If I now change the app path to use the domain I registered with I get a 404 error. I assume I need to setup a local hosts entry to direct my domain to the local ip address? If so can I change the domain as I've given you our real world domain and I think it's going to cause problems.
  • ok, I've got a little further but I'm still having problems.....

Looks like I had my config.php wrong, I had the ip address listed instead of the domain I'd registered at purchase. So that's fixed, I can browse to the sendy install screen all server compatibility tests pass.

However when I enter my details nothing happens, the status bar says waiting for sendy but after a while all the fields go blank and I'm left on the install screen as if nothing happened.

I'm not sure about the email address and password, I don't remember settign up an account at purchase so I assume the email and password can be anything I chose at this stage?

Thanks.

• The email and password is for the purpose of logging in after installation.

Do you have access to error logs?
  • I do but I'm not sure where they are.....I'm running ubuntu 8.04 if that helps.
  • BenBen
    edited November 2012
    @hemming, are you installing Sendy on localhost? As in, your local server, i.e. your computer?
  • Yes, we're going to host it ourselves it'll only be for internal use for our mailshots.
  • Ok. Is the domain (you purchased Sendy for) resolving to 192.168.0.19?
  • I registered hgl.lan which is the local domain here, the config.php file contains the subdomain sendy.hgl.lan whch is also the name of the ubuntu PC.

sendy.hgl.lan resolves correctly via our dns server.
  • When I visit http://sendy.hgl.lan, I can't access it through my browser. I know you're installing in locally, but please bear in mind that your subscribers will not be able to visit any links in emails they receive from Sendy.

Right now, your issue is 'not being able to install'. Are you running Sendy offline? If Sendy is not able to check your license, it's not going to be able to install.
  • ok,I see, I didn't realise it had to be accessible from the web. In that case the domain I register would need to be our real world domain name right? hgl.lan is just our local domain.

If so can you please change it to hgluk.com, and I'll make sure it's accessible.
    sorry for all the hassle.
  • I have changed it to hgluk.com. Hope it works.
  • ok, I'm trying this out today, that'd be on port 80 right?
  • The port doesn't matter.
  • ok, so the sendy box is visible from outside, I can browse to it using the web address set in the config.php file. I'm still getting the same problem though, I fill in the license key etc and click install. Nothing seems to happen and then after 5 or so minutes the fields go blank and I'm back where I started.

I understand that during the install process the installer checks the registered domain, I assume it connects to a server of yours at this point. We have a proxy server on our network that requires authentication for outgoing connections, is there any facility for that within the installer?

I might try putting it on a broadband line just for the install, to get the proxy server out of the way.
  • Yes Sendy uses curl to check your license during install. If outgoing connections are blocked, installation will be hindered. Also keep in mind that transferring emails to Amazon SES requires outgoing connections as well.
  • ok, that's fixed it, once setup on the broadband with no proxy in the way it installed ok. Is it possible to have sendy send email via our own smtp server? bypassing the amazon services?
  • BenBen
    edited January 2013
    Good to hear. SMTP will be on the next update.

Update: SMTP support is now available.
This discussion has been closed.