Skip to content

No preview and sending via smtp?

edited November 2012 in Questions
Hi,

So I've got sendy up and running, almost. I understand that there's no option to send directly via smtp yet. However on the settings screen it says that if you don't have an amazon account setuo then email will be sent via the web server. What protocol does sendy use at the moment to send? Should I setup an smtp server on my web server? or is there another way to do it?

Secondly I've noticed that I cannot see my newsletter previews, I've set the upload folder permissions to 777.

Thanks, Kev

Comments

• If no AWS credentials is set, emails will be sent via PHP's sendmail function.

With regards to not being able to see previews, PM me your installation URL, email and login so that I check.

Thanks.
  • Thanks for sending me your login details. There is a problem with your server getting the URL variables using GET because of the way the URL is rewritten, hence the preview can't get the campaign's ID in order to display the newsletter preview.

I saw that you're using Ubuntu. There is a setting in your server you need to change to AllowOverride All instead of AllowOverride None. Please see this article http://www.joeldare.com/wiki/linux:using_.htaccess_on_ubuntu
  • That's perfect, thanks.

Do you have any info on sending via php sendmail? Do I just need to edit one of the php files? I understand php doesn't support smtp authentication but for testing purposes that's fine we can allow relaying from the sendy box.
  • You're welcome. Sendy defaults to sending via sendmail when no AWS credentials is entered in your settings.
  • What's the mechanism for that though? Do I need to enter in an smtp server address? Or does it use some other protocol?
  • It's PHP's mail function http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

You don't need to enter an SMTP server address in order for PHP's mail function to work.
  • So do I need to open any ports to allow sending via php? It must hit an smtp server at some point?
    Do I need to edit one of your php files or should I write it myself?
  • Thera no need to open any ports and there's no need to hit any SMTP servers.
  • So how does the email leave the network? The mail must be passed to another ip address right? Doesn php sendmail actually send the mail itself or does it pass the emails on to another sendmail server.

I don't have amazon configured and none of my mails are arriving so I assume the php sending is failing for some reason. I haven't configured anything with regard to php sendmail so I can't work out how it could possibly send.

• No, PHP just sends sends the email from your server, it doesn't pass the mail to another ip address.

I have checked your installation and PHP's sendmail function is enabled. Have you checked your spam folder to see if it's there?

If you need SMTP, it's coming on the next update which will be VERY soon.
  • ok, I see, I'd only just enabled sendmail. It's sending ok now. Thanks
  • You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.