Skip to content

Custom MAIL FROM field in Amazon SES

edited March 2019 in Questions

Hi there,

I wondered if someone could help with a configuration issue I’m having.

It's the Custom MAIL FROM field in Amazon's SES setup: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/messaging-and-targeting/amazon-ses-now-supports-custom-mail-from-domains/

Amazon says that you must use a subdomain in this section.

e.g. mail.example.com or bounce.example.com

However, in Sendy I want people to receive my emails from hello@example.com (not a subdomain like hello@mail.example.com). Am I missing something? Is this Custom MAIL FROM field just a section for bounces and should I still use a subdomain like mail.example.com for the Custom MAIL FROM address section? If I do this will people still receive my emails ok from hello@example.com?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• Hi,

However, in Sendy I want people to receive my emails from hello@example.com (not a subdomain like hello@mail.example.com). Am I missing something?

The MAIL FROM sub-domain will only show in the header of the email. It will not change your 'From email'. Your email will still appear to send 'From' hello@example.com.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Thanks very much Ben.

So would you say that best practice is to fill in that Custom MAIL FROM field with something that is different to your actual send address (a subdomain like bounce.example.com or mail.example.com?). I'm still not entirely clear why Amazon SES have this section in the first place.

Cheers

Tom

• Hi,

So would you say that best practice is to fill in that Custom MAIL FROM field with something that is different to your actual send address (a subdomain like bounce.example.com or mail.example.com?).

It will have to be. If you don't set the MAIL FROM, the email headers will display "Sent via amazonses.com". Some email clients may display this visibly at the top of the email.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Great. Many thanks for your help Ben

This discussion has been closed.