Skip to content

Problems importing contacts via CSV

edited November 2012 in Questions
Hi there,

I'm having problems importing a new list of users using the CSV feature.

I think that i've problems with the format of the CSV file. Can you help me with this?

The file im using is built like this (i've copied the format from a CSV downloaded through your export button):

Name,email,\n

And the error im getting is:

Number of columns in CSV does not match CSV format example (as shown below).

I've also tried to upload directly a CSV downloaded from sending and i get the same error. :(

Comments

• i've continued investigating. One of the problems is the final comma after email. But when i upload large csv only half of the contacts are processed by sendy, the others are ignored.
  • I've found the error.

Sendy is deleting email with this pattern:

a.xxxx@emailA.com a.yyyy@emailB.com Sendy thinks that all the emails started with "a." are the same. Downgrading to 1.08 :S
  • BenBen
    edited November 2012
    To answer your original question. Name,email,\n is 3 columns because there are 2 commas. The format example you saw shows 2 columns, Name and Email. If you try to import the 3 column CSV, you'll get an error.

With regards to your second question:

"when i upload large csv only half of the contacts are processed by sendy, the others are ignored."

and

"a.xxxx@emailA.com a.yyyy@emailB.com Sendy thinks that all the emails started with "a." are the same."

I tried uploading a CSV with a.xxxx@emailA.com and a.yyyy@emailB.com, they both appeared in my list (see screenshot below). Sendy does not think that any emails starting with the same alphabet are the same.

I'm not sure how large your CSV is, if only half your subscribers are uploaded, that may mean the server stopped executing the script because the CSV is too large. You may want to split your CSV into multiple chunks and upload them. How big is your CSV in terms of megabytes?
  • edited November 2012
    I've done some tests and in a list formed by emails with that pattern only the first email is being uploaded (either via CSV or FORM). So is not "the half of the emails".

I've downgraded my sendy to the previous version and now it works fine. The CSVs has 50kb (around 1000 rows).
  • Can you please send me the CSV (to: hello at sendy.co) so that I can test it on my side? Thanks.
  • edited November 2012
    Im sorry, it's private data and i cannot share it :(

But i can show you the emails with a little change so you see the pattern of the emails:

Name,a.agXXXar@daiYYYYYysler.com
    Name,a.araXXXru@roYYYYco.com
    Name,a.buXXXs@peteYYYYYYning.com
    Name,a.gXXXn@baYYYYYYYlo.com
    Name,a.jimXXXz@hotYYYYYton.com
  • I understand. :)

These emails are 3 columns (notice the comma on the right of each line)? Could it be some lines in your CSV have an extra comma on the right resulting in 3 columns and some does not? As a result these emails aren't imported.

I imported these emails after removing the comma on the right of each line and everything was imported:

• I've upgraded again to 1.10, tried this and it seems that it works... wierd, but a local problem ;)
This discussion has been closed.