Skip to content

Newsletter unsubscription and re-import

edited June 2020 in Questions

Hello, everyone,

I have a question about unsubscriptions and subsequent import of recipients.

Several of my customers import and export the lists in different configurations. We have noticed that subscribers who have unsubscribed from a list are not imported when they are re-imported into a NEW list. However, it should be possible to import subscribers who have unsubscribed from list A into a new list B.

Question about this: If I set the unsubscribe option in the setting for a list so that the unsubscription should only be done for this list, can users who have unsubscribed from this list also be imported into new lists? Can I also do this retroactively?

Or to put it another way: HOW can I successfully import recipients into a new list who have unsubscribed from one lists?

Where exactly is it noted that a subscriber has unsubscribed from several lists? Is this stored in each individual list in the respective entry?

Many thanks and best regards
Timo

Comments

• BenBen
    edited June 2020

Hi,

In the list settings, set the 'unsubscribe settings' to 'Only this list' in the list you're importing into, then Sendy will ignore the fact that the same email address has been 'unsubscribed' from another list.

Screenshot:  

To edit any list’s settings:

1. Go to 'View all lists' on the left sidebar
    2. Select your desired list
    3. Click ‘List settings' at the top right

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,
    Thanks very much for your quick reply!
    Best regards, Timo

• Hi, Ben,

having thought about it again, I ask myself why I, as "mailing operator", can determine whether the unsubscription should only affect one or all lists. The subscriber should actually be able to decide that when he unsubscribes. So if he is included in several lists, the question should come up whether he wants to be removed from this list only or from all lists.

Or am I wrong?

Thanks again and best regards.
    Timo

• Hi,

In email marketing best practice, when a subscriber unsubscribes from a company's newsletter, they should be unsubscribed from all lists from the company/brand. So they won't keep receiving emails from you again and again in future just because they were on other of your lists they weren't aware of. If this happens, your complaint rate will be high which will result in your Amazon SES account being suspended by Amazon.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

This discussion has been closed.