Skip to content

Use subdomain of a subdomain for MAIL FROM?

edited November 2020 in Questions

Background:
My verified domain identity at AWS is a subdomain (newsletter.domain.com). I would like to be DMARC complaint; AWS says I am required to add a custom MAIL FROM domain to be compliant. However, a MAIL FROM domain is also -- technically -- a subdomain...

Problem:
If I add a custom MAIL FROM domain to my existing subdomain, that becomes a subdomain attached to a subdomain... For example: bounce.newsletter.domain.com

Question:
If I add a custom MAIL FROM domain to my subdomain, will this cause any issues? Will it work? Ultimately, I want to pass SPF, pass DKIM, and pass DMARC.

Comments

• Hi,

If I add a custom MAIL FROM domain to my subdomain, will this cause any issues?

Honestly, I have not tried that before. Usually people verify the top level domains instead of subdomains because their email addresses looks like this name@domain.com and not name@sub.domain.com. The latter is not common.

However, I don't think there will be any issue if your MAIL FROM is a subdomain or a subdomain. You can try it, if it goes through, you're good.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• edited November 2020

Hi Ben,

I can confirm that is works! Thank you

p.s. I noticed that Vimeo has a similar set-up. It is rare, but it gives me comfort that they do it too haha

Best regards,
    Andrew

This discussion has been closed.