Skip to content

Feature request: Rename config.php in zip archive

edited May 2013 in Suggestions

I just updated my Sendy installation to the latest version and inadvertently clobbered my config.php file in the process. I perform nightly backups, so this wasn't really a problem for me, but it's almost certainly going to be a problem for someone else (or likely has already).

Many web applications do not ship a config file, instead shipping something like config-example.php which can be filled out and renamed to config.php for use. This will allow the copying over of new versions without having to worry about overwriting an important file.

(Being able to update straight from a Subversion or Git repository would be even better!)

Comments

• Thanks for your suggestion Kenn. I laid it out clearly in 'How to upgrade?' in the Get Updated page though I completely understand sometimes we can miss things out. :) I am thinking of an auto-update or one click update feature, something along the lines which will make updating easier in future.

• It has been a year. Auto update function is still not available?
    I really appreciate you guys making the update quite frequently (I'm just a 3 month old user, and here are 2 new version release within 3 months). It is quite a tedious process to update sendy unless there it has auto update!

• Automatic updates would be great! Or even just a version that does not include the .htaccess, config.php or uploads folders for folks upgrading so that they don't have to be remembered to be deleted.

• WordPress does something similar. By default the wp_config.php is called wp_config_sample.php in the zip you download to install or upgrade.

• yikes, just did the same - I copied the config.php from the new version zip and lost the old config.php with all my settings.

This seems a too simple change not to make - same as with WP - can you just rename the config.php to config-sample.php?

digging through the website backup and restoring the file isn't something I want to do regularly... already the update process is way more manual than it should be...

• Just learned that my hosting creates a special backup that I can't just download and open up on my PC, so have to do this:
    1. create a manual backup of the website
    2. restore an automatic backup of the website (overwrite the changes I did on my website today)
    3. find config.php via FTP and download it
    4. restore my manual backup again
    5. upload the restored config.php file

Really, really unnecessary steps that can be prevented by just a very, very simple filename change, I'm surprised isn't implemented even after these years.