Skip to content

Bounce/complaint handling isn't configuring

edited December 2017 in Troubleshooting

I have recently upgraded to 3.0.4 and re-installed Sendy to a new subdomain. I am now trying to ensure that bounce/complaint handling is all set up, but this is where I run into problems.

The issue:

• I have sent several test emails to complaint@simulator.amazonses.com and bounce@simulator.amazonses.com, but they are not registering bounces or complaints

I have tried these fixes:

• I have checked the Amazon SNS dashboard and can see two "PendingConfirmation" topics
  • I checked with my host regarding white listing as set out here https://sendy.co/troubleshooting#sns-pendingconfirmation; I am told there are no firewalls. The operator whitelisted several IP addresses all the same
  • My host updated the cron jobs as mentioned here: https://sendy.co/forum/discussion/10584/opens-and-clicks-tracking-and-bounce-handling#Item_2
  • I tried to remove the "PendingConfirmation" topics; but this was not possible; a notification says "Pending subscriptions cannot be deleted. Unconfirmed pending subscriptions will be automatically deleted after 3 days"
  • I have tested at each step and not seen any bounces/complaints registering, and the SNS subscriptions are still pending.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a large mailer to send out in the next week and I must have bounce/complaint handling set up first. Is it possible to set up manually, like was done in the past with Sendy?

I wonder if there is somewhere in AWS which is set up to point to the old subdomain, which needs updating to the new subdomain? I find AWS fairly complex to navigate.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Hi,

You should be able to delete Amazon SNS ‘Topics’ and ‘Subscriptions’. Delete all the ‘Topics’ and ‘Subscriptions’.

When you’re at the ‘Define recipients’ page (the page where you select lists to send your campaign to), Sendy will automatically create the Amazon SNS topics and subscriptions. If your server have no firewalls, the Amazon SNS ‘Subscriptions’ should not be in ‘PendingConfirmation’ status.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Thanks very much for your help Ben. I'll keep trying; as is I can't use the software.

I'm having trouble with the first step of deleting the SNS subscription (one has disappeared of its own accord, but there is one remaining). I am getting a message saying "Pending subscriptions cannot be deleted. Unconfirmed pending subscriptions will be automatically deleted after three days".

I assume I need to delete all pending subscriptions before re-attempting to 'define recipients'.

I'm not sure what else I can try; would setting up the topics/subscriptions manually make a difference?

My host assures me that there are no firewalls in place. Is there anything else I can have them check?

Will I need to go through this process for every new verified sender?

• BenBen
    edited March 2018

Hi,

You can try manually setting up Amazon SNS topics and subscriptions for 'bounces' and 'complaints' following Step 7 & 8 of the old Get Started Guide → https://sendy.co/get-started?old

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

I've disabled Cloudflare for my Sendy subdomain and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'll look into another solution for securing the subdomain.

One thing I'm not clear on - do I have to set up bounce/complaint handling separately for each brand? Or each verified sender?

I'm having trouble adding the bounce@simulator.amazonses.com address back to my test list.

Thank you,
    Jessie

• Hi,

One thing I'm not clear on - do I have to set up bounce/complaint handling separately for each brand? Or each verified sender?

No you don't have to setup for each brand. Just set it up once will do for the whole Sendy installation.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

This discussion has been closed.