Skip to content

Using Mandrill webhook for Bounces & Complaints

edited March 2017 in Contributions

Hi;
We have switched to Mandrill (for many reasons, but the biggest issue is their s**tty support system) and we have modified the compl. and bounce reciever files to handle them. (include/campaign/..)

Bounce: http://pastie.org/private/eccwn5laqgiqsknl3o7la

Compl.: http://pastie.org/private/lzbfwp5set3wogpiu1nomw

Comments

• Nice one, been considering Mandrill as well.

• Any reason you didn't use SendGrid @ozgurakman? I only get 30% delivered to inbox in MailChimp! Incredibly bad rates.. SendGrid is closer to 89%

• Very helpful. Thanks for sharing this code.
    I've set up to new files includes/campaigns/bounces-mandrill.php and includes/campaigns/complaints-mandrill.php and set up webhooks in mandrill to point to these.
    Hope it works! :-)

• Thank you so much!

• Hi Ozgurakman ,

Can you please tell me step by step, how to configure Sendy with Mandrill with bounce and complaint rate configuration ?

Thanks,

• I found that some bounces were not registered. I am not sure the reason is (1) mandrill did not send all bounces, or (2) my bounce handler can't handle all bounces at once.

I also noticed that for bounces that were registered, it is not shown in the report. The last_campaign field seems not set.

• I cannot get that info over mandrill, if anyone can upgrade my code, I'd be glad.

• I have the same problem. Code installed and seemed to work, but it looks like it only records a few of the bounces from Mandrill and not all of them.
    Any one have any suggestion or reason why it might be doing this?

• Its beause the webhook sends bounces in batches. you must write a loop to get all the bounces.

• loop? where?

• Where the address is registered as a bounce. Sadly I cannot do that.

• Thought I'd mention this too - I had to make sure the SMTP sending port was set to 25, otherwise it didn't send any emails through mandrill.

• can we use mandrill bounce back in sendy ? if yes . please suggest how to ?

• I've changed the bounces.php file to work with mandrillapp webhook, it works with batches, etc. I'm gonna update it later today, just need to clean it up.

• That would be lovely @efegue

• I've just run through the process of converting this into a usable solution. My code is based on that by @ozgurakman, but now loops through all of the bounces from Mandrill, then handles soft_bounces and hard-bounces.

You can find it here: http://pastie.org/private/c27za78v6jrpgjy4tetrhg

Be aware that I have this set up in a subdirectory at includes/campaigns/mandrill/bounces.php so if you have yours elsewhere, just be careful of the config.php include at the top.

Hope this is useful to someone.

• Sendynood, thanks a lot, i have some questions to do.

1) Why this? $bounce_simulator_email = 'example.sender@mandrillapp.com';

2) I see in the code $ca_cert_bundle = $server_path.'certs/cacert.pem'; What's this? I need a certificate? can you explain?

Regars

• Hi All,

I take the work of sendynoob and ozgurakman and do this things:
    1) fix the complaints.php file, using the sendynoob method.
    2) package complaints.php and bounces.php in one archive ready to decompress in the sendy's installation folder
    3) add a screen capture of madrill webhock to sendy

You can download it from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2891468/sendymods/mandrill-bounces-and-compliants.zip

• Hi I have tried sendynoobs and fabgonbers and Mandrill is saying it has successfully sent a notification but Sendy is not registering anything. Is there any other settings I need to change other than upload the files and point Mandrill to them? Thanks

• Similar question. Just got it set up, sending successfully via Mandrill, but want to make sure Bounce and Complaints are registering properly. Set up the 2 webhooks as in Fab's screenshot. Running tests on each of the webhooks in the Mandrill UI tells me it successfully posted test events. However, like Pellnore, it's not showing up in Sendy. And, I don't know how it would, as it's not associated a campaign/recipient coming out of Sendy.

I sent emails to SES's bounce and complaint simulator addresses (actually, all of them), but that's not coming back either (I am set up correctly on SES; I've been sending via SES and just recently trying to use Mandrill). I'm thinking though that the SES simulator addresses don't work with email coming from non-SES senders (which makes perfect sense). And it makes sense that there aren't other simulators out there as they would have to be tied to the sender wanting to do the testing.

• I'm waiting for a stable Sendy 1.1.8.x version to make the changes.

• @fabgonber The current 1.1.8.x version is stable for your info.

• Thanks, i will work tomorrow

• Hi,

I am trying to install sendy and use mandrill. I prefer it to SES (Yes I have tries SES in the past). i want to use this. The problem is when installing I get stuck at install screen without aws credentials? Is that required to install?

Thanks

• Hi!!! any update to this adds for using mandrill on sendy??? Regards,

• Would be awesome to see an updated version of the webhooks mod to actually get everything working.

• How to set it up? in Mandrill or sendy? can't find the settings like in the screenshot.

• Did anybody has a script that is working as I used the several ones that are here but I cannot set up

• Is Ben still here? We purchase it since it said provide great support.

• Is this version work with sendy 1.1.9?

This discussion has been closed.