Skip to content

MX records

edited June 2013 in Questions

Hi there,

I've successfully installed and configured Sendy to use Amazon SES, using your easy-to-follow instructions.

One thing that I've not yet come across in either your or Amazon's instructions is setting up the MX records and any associated email accounts.

Q1: What should my 'sending domain' MX record be set to?

Q2: Do I need to setup any email accounts for the email address that I'm sending from?

To put this in some context:

An application that I currently use, says to setup an account for the 'From address' and bounce@ is piped to the application's unsubscribe script. I've not seen anything similar in Sendy... some people don't unsubscribe using an unsubscribe link, instead reply to the email and include 'Unsubscribe' or 'Remove me from your mailing list' in the body of the email. As the email list owner you have to process these type of unsubscribes manually.

Your help is most most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Charles

Comments

• Hi Charles,

Q1: What should my 'sending domain' MX record be set to?

Q2: Do I need to setup any email accounts for the email address that I'm sending from?

You don't need to set an MX record or setup email accounts for the email address you're sending from. All you need to do is verify you email address or the email's domain in your SES console and you'll be able to send from it.

An application that I currently use, says to setup an account for the 'From address' and bounce@ is piped to the application's unsubscribe script. I've not seen anything similar in Sendy...

You can't compare Sendy with other applications. Sendy is designed for Amazon SES, it uses Amazon SES's feedback loop to register bounces and complaints automatically. How it works is that for any bounced or complaint email, Amazon will let Sendy know through Amazon SNS. These emails will be registered in Sendy automatically. Setting up bounce and complaint handling is easy and are described in Sendy's Get Started Guide.

some people don't unsubscribe using an unsubscribe link, instead reply to the email and include 'Unsubscribe' or 'Remove me from your mailing list' in the body of the email.

If you include an unsubscribe link in your email, most people will click it to unsubscribe. People who email you to unsubscribe are rare, unless you specifically tells them to do so in your newsletter. Even if people choose to email you to unsubscribe, you can fulfil their request easily by using Sendy's interface to unsubscribe them. But like I said, it's rare. Always include an unsubscribe link in your email so people won't have to email you to ask to be unsubscribed.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Ben

This discussion has been closed.