Skip to content

Recipients receive unsubscribe message after campaign

edited July 2019 in Troubleshooting

I got an alert from a subscriber this morning that each time I send a campaign, he receive a second email shortly after with the text of my unsubscribe message.

This can obviously happen if he forwards an email to someone who uses his unsubscribe link, but then he would be unsubscribed and wouldn't receive the next campaign and the next unsub message.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Hi,

As part of email marketing's best practice, Sendy includes a List-unsubscribe header in each email sent. This List-unsubscribe header contains the unsubscribe link unique for each recipient and is used by email clients to display a native 'Unsubscribe' link at the top of the message if they choose to. Gmail for example displays a native unsubscribe link at the top of an email they think is a newsletter:

Screenshot: 

The unsubscribe link points to the unsubscribe URL found in the List-unsubscribe header.

Not all email clients or ISPs uses the List-unsubscribe header this way though, some uses this List-unsubscribe header data to unsubscribe a user when they think the email is spam. For example some corporate email servers unsubscribes the user with this data when they think the email is not important even before your email reaches the recipient. How email clients or ISPs use the List-unsubscribe header is out of anyone's control. The solution is to contact their email service provider with regards to this behavior.

Alternatively set your list’s ‘Unsubscribe setting’ to ‘Double opt-out’ so that another confirmation link needs to be clicked by the original recipient in the unsubscribe page before they are being unsubscribed from the list.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Ben

• Got it, will inform him, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.