Skip to content

Using AWS Cloudwatch or Firehose for enhanced reporting

edited August 2019 in Questions

Hi Everyone

Has anyone use Cloudwatch or Firehouse for more insight on sending stats via SES?

I need to be able to add headers such as these - and wondered if I can just edit the custom template we use and add them in or is their a more cunning way!

X-SES-CONFIGURATION-SET: CONFIGURATION-SET-NAME
X-SES-MESSAGE-TAGS: campaign=book

Thanks in advance and love the app!

Jez

Comments

• edited October 2023

If you use click tracking that goes through Amazon's domain or your configured custom domain, which is assigned to the configuration set you can do the following, it should work:
    1. When creating a new campaign and writign a message disable link tracking,
    2. Switch to raw HTML to write a message and add the following attribute to the link you want to track:
    <a ses:track="key=value;anotherkey=value" href="yoururl.com">Your link text</a>

** I hope I gave the key - value format correctly - check the docs. Amazon will rewrite your URL from the regular HTML href attribute and collect clicks data.
    ** Unfortuately, you cannot forward this data to Sendy over SNS topic or read it of the SQS que as of now.
    ** I wrote to Ben about it a few days ago. The SQS que for clicks and opens would be aneat idea for we could use a cron-scheduled job to get and update those stats as a batch operation. Porting l.php and t.php files should not be taht difficult for any who is familiar with PHP.

When I read the code for those files, they do more than just record clicks and opens... They also update user status, for example: unmark them as soft bounced when they click the link. Therefore, if you want to use Cloud Watch for tracking I would consider the following:
    1. Add Amazon's custom attribute, let Sendy rewrite the URL,
    2. Get 2 redirects, but tracking data in Cloud Watch and data Sendy usually records.

Hope that helps...

This discussion has been closed.